EXJW Book Reading in Atlanta

by The Doc 58 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• The Doc 58
    The Doc 58

I have a reading scheduled on May 15th in Atlanta, GA. It is a new restaurant called the Lamplighter Cafe. As an exjw, my book is about the experiences me and my friend faced gowing up in the religion and trying to be normal adults. My book is called 'The Colon Chronicles'. My avatar is the cover. For a description of the book you can go to the publishers website: www.junetwentyninthpublishing.com or go to here: http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Benton-Fazzolari-Watchtower-Jehovahs-Witness/dp/0615194370/ref=tag_stp_st_edpp_ttl

If you are interested in coming to the book reading, please let me know. I can give you directions and so forth. Again, it is in downtown Atlanta. Here is a link to the location: http://www.junetwentyninthpublishing.com/629promotionalevents.html

Also, here is an excerpt from my book. A large part of the content of my book is humor. Although living through the ordeal of surviving those truly uncomfortable social situations as a jw was painful. Humor can found during the reprogramming of the mind. Enjoy:

Here is an except which shows a JW character getting that visit of encouragement from the elders: Fisher's glowing explanation was interrupted by a knock on the door.Two Alfred Hitchcockesque silhouettes stood outside holding brief cases.Rich's eyes opened, he wiped drool off his mouth and felt frightened.His fear was confirmed when Fisher completely abandoned his treatise entitled, "Of Gravity Bong" and shouted to Rich, "Rich, Rich, it's a couple of old guys from your church."

"Ahhhhh.What do they look like?"

"They're both obese and bald.One has some severe razor burn and the other has a clip on tie.It looks like the slightly fatter guy hasn't shined his shoes in a decade."

"Shit."The unkempt shoes gave it away. Brother Michael Beagley was visiting with "encouragement" and at that moment it started to rain.

Fisher did what he knew would really perturb Rich.He let the obese churchmen inside.Immediately, Brother Beagely's large enflamed nostrils contracted with condescending energy.Then he glanced quickly to the other fat man, Brother Collar, and nodded with his dangling chin flapping one step behind.A whisper could be heard, "Smells like grass."

"Hi there Fisher, is Richard available?"

Fisher had a choice and of course chose the thing that would most upset Rich."Yes, I'll get him."He walked down the short hall, opened the bedroom door and stepped with one bare foot onto some tweezers covered in cat excrement.Fisher recognized it as Blinky's shit."Rich, your church elders are here to encourage you."Rich stumbled from the bed and walked to the living room.

"Hello, Brother Stadium," said Brother Beagley, "this is Brother Collar.Brother Collar, this is Brother Richard Stadium.We were in the neighborhood visiting Brother Chuck Knox, so we thought we'd stop by and talk for ten minutes.Can we have a seat?"

"Sure" said Rich.

"Brother Stadium, it seems like you've been toting the line lately with your conduct, association, and attitude in general.Do you realize that bad association spoils useful habits?In fact, let's look at that scripture, shall we?"

Rich walked into his bedroom, head down, and searched intensely for his bible.It was an early nineteen seventies green edition with his name etched in pseudo gold leaf on the bottom left hand corner.It was a gift from a Ugandan church member twenty-three years his elder and ten years earlier.They read the scripture together.Just behind the skin of his forehead his skull trembled insanely.He thought he could feel the fixed joint separating like the crusts of land under ocean waters.He could sense the tendons in his knees aging rapidly.

"It seems that you're missing several of our church meetings.I noticed that you've missed twenty three of the last thirty one meetings, most of which are on Thursday night, can you explain yourself?"

"I've been busy."

"Too busy for the lord."

"Well, I've been under stress from…"

"If you come to the meetings then that stress will disappear."

"But you don't understand, the church meetings give me stress."

"WHAT! That's crazy.The church is a place of refuge from this evil and corrupt world."

"My parents…"

"Listen, we could all blame our parents.My parents were Catholic, now what could be worse than that?"Brother Collar piped in, "Did your parents ever force you to speak in tongues?"

"No, but…"

"Your parents raised you the right way.Read this, it says, 'Do not forsake the gathering of yourselves for to incite to fine works.'Do you know what incite means?It means to sharpen.I sharpen you, you sharpen me."

As much as Rich wanted to rejoice in that reciprocal formula and as much as he admired the behemoth eloquence spraying from the church elder's mouth, he couldn't agree.His central nervous system wouldn't let him; neither would his colon.But he did comply.

"I will be at the next meeting."

"Well, that's just fine Brother Stadium."

Rich thought the visit was over and was about to thank the churchmen and walk them to their cars, much like the conclusion of an average nineteen fifties date, but it wasn't over.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Wow, that's great. Too bad I'm so far away.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Hi Doc

A reading in Atlanta, I thought you lived In California?? I know a few people who are ExJWs living in Georgia, I will copy this post and send it to them.

Those JW elders in your story weren't using the usual JW jargon. Church, they never call meetings church. Were you doing that because it would make it easier for Non JW's to understand the dialog??

I hope you enjoy your day, its Sunday, time to relax

Velvetann

• orbison11
    orbison11

"It seems that you're missing several of our church meetings.I noticed that you've missed twenty three of the last thirty one meetings, most of which are on Thursday night, can you explain yourself?"

also,,,,,my book is about the experiences me and my friend faced gowing up in the religion and trying to be normal adults.

hhmm

• The Doc 58
    The Doc 58

Nice questions, I appreciate the feedback. Yes, I do not use the usual JW jargon i nsome cases in the book. There are two reasons for this.

1. When i started writing the book I was still a JW and married to a JW and I guess I was doing some sort of disguise so maybe I could still publish the book. Any exjw or jw can very easily see that what I am talking about is the jws.

2. Yes, I did want to make my book a little more univeral to all people that have face situations and circumstances where they don't belong or feel extremely uncomfortable with their surroundings.

I have a degree in literature. I was a public school teacher in english for seven years, so my book is not just a sensationalized version of life in the jws. It is a book with literary merit that deals with the subtle nuances of growing up and being a JW. My name is Benton Fazzolari and I grew up in Buffalo, N.Y. I attended the Lackawanna and Southside Congregations. I was a JW and so where all my friends. My family lives in Las Vegas. My father is an elder/pioneer, my brother elder.pioneer, my sister ex-bethelite/pioneer, my mother a pioneer, etc. So, I lived it and it hurts. As I mentioned I am in therapy and on meds. I have made a great recovery and written this book. I live in Los Angeles, but my wife is from Atlanta, so we visit back.

Velvetan, i am sending you your book tomorrow.

Please ask more questions. I am exorcisinf my soul and I KNOW that anybody that reads my book will understand.

And I encourage all of you to be yourself and don't disguise who you are by a username, etc. I am out and I know who I am, despite shunning, etc.

Thanks,

Benton

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Benton

Thanks for explaining and I look forward to reading your book. I will let you know as soon as I receive it. Thank you for offering it and I hope to give you a review once its read.

As far as disguising our names etc....well I don't care myself if anyone knows who I am and what my name is and where I live. I have no family or friends left in the JWORG. I do think that there are a lot of people on here though that do need to disguise themselves, they are still IN and have to be careful no knows that they are investigating. Remember if you even question the GB that will be grounds for disfellowhipping.

Velvetann aka Paula

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have a degree in literature. I was a public school teacher in english for seven years,

So how do you explain your spelling, grammatical and idiomatic errors?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Sounds like a great read, best wishes.

hope4others

• The Doc 58
    The Doc 58

Hey Nathhhan Natessss:

I am still slightly retarded from JW youth indoctrinationnnn, so I uck up on grammarrr and speeling. Forgive me if I am coming here for support, I didn't realize I would be critiqued with a fine toothed comb like I was in the JWS. I am coming here to get away from that and I have written a book and published it to be an inspiration to people that are scared. If negativity is what you are bringing through sacrastic and useless comments then don't respond to my posts, go celebrate Mikael Bakunin while singing song number 118 in your written review boxer shorts.

Thanks Valvetann, you are a nice person and I look forward to you reading my book.

Now's the time.

Benton

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi Benton

I enjoyed reading your part you shared from the book. It certainly made me interested in reading more... Are you distributing in Australia?

At first I was a little confused by the jargon but I completely understand your decision to make it more generic I guess. That way more people from high control religons can relate to the book.

If Atlanta wasn't so far away, I'd come to your reading!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit