Did you see any sad living conditions in Field Service...?

by Casper 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Wow in this country its hard to believe that people are still living in squalor.

I haven't been in the Service for 25 years so I am going back a long time ago, Many years ago in a area near Cornwall Ontario. My Mom and Dad were regular pioneers and I was one too, we had country territory. There was an area where a whole family lived in various shacks on one property. One room shacks with dirt floors, out houses for daytime toilet and chamber pots in the corner visible, which were rarely emptied by the smell. There was a whole clump of shacks and all of them invited us in to talk to them. Each of these families had at least 6 kids one after another and all living in one room. It was dirty and stinky. Most of them were all related to each other in that they married their 1st cousins and in a couple of cases there was a Father living with his daughter and they had kids together. I was not that old and I just couldn't understand how they could live in this filth but the worst was they were all incestuous. They lived like this because they didn't know different and were mostly mentally handicapped. I observed as a young woman that These were the kind of people who often will listen to the JW's and I said that to my parents. Their answer was that humble meek people will inherit the earth not haughty rich people.

We studied with a parapalegic man near Perth Ontario, he lived in a two room shack with his parents and various sisters, cousins, brothers, They had dirt floors no indoor plumbing or toilet, and they let the cows come in the house. I am not sure if those kind of conditions exist anymore. I haven't been out from door to door to find out thankfully.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Casper
    Casper
    When we would sit down on the couch, I would tuck my pants legs into my socks so they couldn't run up and inside my pants.

Uniformed...

Just amazing what some people will put up with.

That reminds me of a time when our car group stopped by a very "Prominent" and I mean "Prominent" Pioneer Sister's home to use the bathroom... She had left her dirty dishes in the sink to soak overnight. There was a mouse floating in the water, she just picked it up by the tail and tossed it out the door. She then proceeded to make us coffee, when she handed me the creamer it had mouse droppings in it... I just said... "Uh, no thanks...

Mouthy,

You never cease to amaze me... I really don't think the sisters in my old hall would have gone so far to help, and that is a shame. There is a good feeling in helping others when we can... (((((Hugs))))

Quirky1

the saddest part is that most of the people in these situations choose this lifestyle and think nothing of it.

I've noticed this on occasion.....they seem perfectly happy with the way things are.

Cas

• Casper
    Casper

Velvetann,

Most of them were all related to each other in that they married their 1st cousins and in a couple of cases there was a Father living with his daughter and they had kids together. I was not that old and I just couldn't understand how they could live in this filth but the worst was they were all incestuous.

Those are truly sad experiences.... Thanks for sharing.

Cas

• aSphereisnotaCircle
  • Alpaca
    Alpaca

Cas,

Just another thought. Some of the Dubs homes were atrocious. I wouldn't go to some of their homes because I felt like I was going to catch some unspeakable disease.

Also, just to elaborate on my earlier comment, it seems like the Dubs had the most "success" with the real losers in our society, who more often than not have substandard living conditions. I don't think that it is a coincidence that a lame message appeals to lame minds and that it is really inadequate to satisfy strong minds.

Most of the smart people I knew in the Borg were raised in the Borg. There were very few smart people who came to the Borg as adults. The few smart people, whom I can think of, that came to the Borg as adults came to it by marrying "weak" Dubs or became "sham" Dubs so that they could marry a Dub.

Cheers,

Alex

• Casper
    Casper

Asphere.............My heart goes out to you.... (((Hugs)))) . I am so glad you have moved on in your life and made different choices. I can understand how some scars never heal.

Sincerely,

Cas

Some of the Dubs homes were atrocious. I wouldn't go to some of their homes because I felt like I was going to catch some unspeakable disease.

Alex.........So true....

Cas

• mouthy
    mouthy

Unfortunantly, it was my home. I'm an adult now and can choose how i live. I do not choose to live that way. I have no idea why my parents choose to live that way. I wish I understood.

I was sexually abused, beaten and raised in a mind controlling cult. But the filthy house thing, that's the thing I almost never talk about.

Aspher...How sad for you to be brought up this way.So happy that you made a differance & changed all that . (((((((((HUGS))))) I respect your sharing....

As for the one who said ( cant remember who) smart people didnt come in as adults. O.k. Bud DONT rub it in XX

• Summer wine
    Summer wine

I remember going on a bible study with a pioneer, the house was really dirty. Then while the owner was out of the room I was shown a big stain in the middle of the floor which was apparently blood, caused by the daughter stabbing her boyfriend a week before, it had never been cleaned up!

Then the kids came home and started eating stuff off the floor, I started heaving really bad and had to make an excuse to leave. I told the sister that I couldnt go with her again and that I really admired her dedication............she just started talking about how many hours she got visiting there every week. I was amazed she would go there every week just to tot up the hours.

• Casper
    Casper

Welcome Summer Wine....

I was shown a big stain in the middle of the floor which was apparently blood, caused by the daughter stabbing her boyfriend a week before, it had never been cleaned up!

Words just escape me on the thought of that......

Cas

• XOCO
    XOCO

YES YES YESSSS!

I attend a foreign language congregation more specifically all of our members are either originally or descendants from a 3rd world country. With that being said we only preach to people who speak our language or our native mother language....most but not all of the people we talk to at the door have immigration issues and family issues that live overseas. These two were the worst combination because these people would work hard to pay the landlord and stuff but at the end they would not have any money to clean up after themselves because these people feel just because i live in the ghetto it does not mean i have to keep my living quarters clean

When we find people like this they are more apt to accept a bible study, with that being said sometimes when the study goes well the brothers and sisters will find somebody to help them out with their immigration issues, help them apply for food stamps, help them find better work and finally hand them a mop and a broom After we give them a helping hand bribe we expect them to attend the meetings with us. but only to find out we've been taken advantage of just so they can gain US green-card or residences which is not easy to get.I just think some times the dubs like to be taken advantage of just so they can convert somebody/keep a bible study. but they fail to see that they are being use so someone else can get ahead in life with saying the magical word Thank You 2 us.*Puke*

I think the better question to ask if you went to a jehovah's witnesses house and see their house as Fxxxing filthy... and i've seen my fair share. the worst one was going to attending the JW BET ASSEMBLY AWARDS but my mother did not have enough money to pay for the hotel so a brother recommended that we stay in his sister and law's house (also a JW) since my mom agreed to the brother (XOCO's sister did not agree) so we stayed with the SIL. when the SIL law open the door for us it looked like the dirty streets from our third world country and their was some man in the home who was not a dub and kept making jesters at us (scared the bejeasus out of us). It even gets worse...the brother who suggested to stay w/his SIL got to say in a room that had its own bathroom nice sparking tile and fresh new sheets bed etc,etc. what we got was just pure S**t, i mean the entire room was covered with dust no sheets on the bed and the floor was covered dust and sand. I refused to lay on the bed!!!it was just so fucking nasty ass! what was wost was her bathroom i mean it had rust rings all over the tub, tile and shower curtain, also the bathroom sink and toilet was covered in some (i don't know what the fuck it was) so i'm gonna call it black death b/c that what it looked liked... The wost part of it all was that our host did not clean the room or the bathroom us MY OWN MOTHER had to clean up after her. This was soooo f***ked up on sooo many levels that i just can not fathom.

I could not reason how the cleanliness scripture went passed her airhead. but then again it must be some of the traditions that people keep when leaving a 3rd world country IMO.

XOCO (re-living bad memories class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit