Did you see any sad living conditions in Field Service...?

by Casper 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I used to study with this young guy whose mom was d/f'd every other year. She had 8 kids from 8 different fathers raging in age from 3-19. I studied with the 19 yr old. They lived in Sacramento near the city cemetery in the city projects. There were roaches everywhere. I had to clean out my bookbag once and get them out of there or else risk taking them into my house. Needless to say we studied at the hall after that.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Yes.

I remember a man with a house full of newspaper stacks taller than I was and the only clear floor space was a skinny path to his lazyboy chair.
    There would be no escaping a fire in that house.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I know what you mean, Casper. I have many memories, similar to the kind you mention, of noticing the disparity between various households.

• myababes
    myababes

When I was a teenager my mum used to study with a young woman with 2 young children. She didn't work but the house was absolutely filthy, dirty nappies lying around. pots never been washed for days, feet sticking to the carpet, that sort of thing. Being the kind hearted soul my mum was she arranged for all the sisters to have a day in her home and they cleaned it from top to bottom, got her new carpets, decorated, the house looked lovely afterwards. Needless to say after a further few months the house was as bad as it was and the woman stopped studying.

Also one RV my husband went on once with a friend of his at the time was with a guy who was married but also had his girlfriend living with him and all their 5 kids between them and they also lived in dire squalor. He used to bring them all to the book study at our home and afterwards the house stunk. One day they went for a study at their home and one of the women was changing the babies dirty nappy swilled all the pooh out in the kitchen sink over all the cups and plates that were in it then took a couple of cups out of the sink, rinsed them under the tap and proceeded to make them a cup of tea. Needless to say they declined drinking it.!!!!!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Oy.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have seen my share of places with siding falling apart, sidewalks and stairs that were unsteady, doors that looked like they were ready to fall off, busted out windows and screens, and general filth.

One incident was a study that had chairs that wobbled excessively. They were not stable, and anyone with limited balance could easily have fallen off of them.

• Casper
    Casper

Wow, those are some really wild experiences...

Myababes:

the women was changing the babies dirty nappy swilled all the pooh out in the kitchen sink over all the cups and plates that were in it then took a couple of cups out of the sink, rinsed them under the tap and proceeded to make them a cup of tea. Needless to say they declined drinking it.!!!!!

Oh Good Lord.... tell me you are Kidding............ Just when you think you've heard it all...

Hey SPAZnik..............your story reminds me of a older man I called on... he sat by the door in a recliner all the time. The rest of the house was filled with junk and bags of trash with just a narrow aisle to the rest of the house. I don't think he got up much as he had a bucket for urinating right by the chair...........

Cas

• uninformed
    uninformed

Saw some bad stuff, filth and all, but the worst was a Bible study that we had with a family whose home was infested with mice.

There were so many mice that the people just ignored them. When we would sit down on the couch, I would tuck my pants legs into my socks so they couldn't run up and inside my pants.

It was sad and shocking.

Brant

• mouthy
    mouthy

Anyone else have any experiences like these...?

Cas

Yes Glennie( still a JW) & I went to a house of a single MUM ,a boy of about 10 years old filthy house, hardly anything in the fridge, let us come a few times to push "OUR" Truth?On them...
    So we got another sister ( with heart) Marge ,(still in), asked if we could really give her house a brighter look ,then maybe she would come to the K.Hall( blackmail) So we went laden with soap ,buckets, paint & worked there for days, ( yes we counted time ) well it was for Jehovah wasnt it? in my mind it was. It looked lovely when it was finished, Yes they did come to the Kingdom Hall but was never dedicated & left after much pleading, . Another time my daughter Melanie & I called on a Mum with a small baby---no formula. Melanie( since deceased) went & got the kind she said the baby should have & bought a cartoon of it & took it to her. . She never became a JW but we felt good . & it got us a bit extra time

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I have seen a lot of the things mentioned but the saddest part is that most of the people in these situations choose this lifestyle and think nothing of it. I would have been completely embarrassed to live in such conditions but I was raised with better morals even tho we didn't have much but it was neat & clean. I know some do not have the meens to support a clean or better lifestyle or it is the issue of that was "how they were raised" and they do not know differently.

Quirky1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit