simple question about popularity

by dippydo 25 Replies latest jw friends

• dippydo
    dippydo

hi everyone, this is only my second post under this name but I'm not actually new, just couldnt remember my password under my other name as havnt been on the board for a very long time, hey I've even had a bible study in the time I've been away.

Anyway, my question is, do you think their is a pecking order within the congregation,not so much overseer, elder, common publisher etc, more as in, one particular family being popular, everyone sucking up to them, them looking down their noses at the meer mortals who perhaps cant afford to pioneer or live in a palace, etc etc.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Definately 100% dippydo and welcome back.

In my old cong you definately had to be in with the in crowd to get on. Many looked down on those that didn't do what they thought was right in their eyes. Whether that be hours, bible studies, etc.

The society used to speak about the 'danger' of cliques in the cong, but there were many in mine and also in the neighbouring ones.

Paul

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There is definitely this stuff in congregations.

There are families with a C.O. or a Bethelite in them. There are elders with a pioneer wife and
    pioneer children, sometimes the elder himself is a pioneer. If he were also well off, he is the king.

Who did you study the Bible with? I ask because JW's study a WT publication, not the Bible.
    Why would you have a study?

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

From my experience in the USA there were huge divides between rich/poor and black/white and pioneer/publisher.

In Ireland we're not so diverse, so not such great divides.

• nelly136
    nelly136

absolutely!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    dippydo wrote: hi everyone, this is only my second post under this name but I'm not actually new, just couldnt remember my password

Hi Dippydo -

Welcome back.

What was your prior nick??

-Aude.

• mind my own
    mind my own

Hi, and welcome back.

I absolutely do think there is a pecking order just as you have described! I have been out a long time but I can still remember the families names who were the high and mighty ones, and it was no coincidense that the people that were tight with them all happened to be working their way up rapidly, or were already high ups. Their kids were all little pukes, engaging in very improper behavior for Christians, but if you didn't hang out with them, you were nobody and not considered "good association".

MMO

• Casper
    Casper

Welcome back

Oh Good Lord, yes. At one point there was an ongoing argument between the two major families in my old hall...

If you agreed with family one you sat on the left, if you agreed with family two you sat on the right... It was a nightmare. Until of course a CO came along and "fixed" it all...........lololol.

From my experience in the USA there were huge divides between rich/poor and black/white and pioneer/publisher.

This kind of thing went on all the time.

Cas

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Yep, there's a pecking order. When we were poor we were constantly being pecked at because we had "financial problems". Eventually that changed, and I had a great job, a house, a new vehicle and money in the bank. Then they pecked at us because we were "materialistic".

Now I realize they pecked at us because they were shit, we were not, and they were jealous about that.

W

• *Incubus
    *Incubus

I was so NOT popular! I came from a large family and we were picked on cause my parents had too many kids.It got better when my mom reg.pioneered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit