Retraining our WT-controlled minds - THE GAME 2

by Lady Lee 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I thought this might be a good way to help many of us to see the absurdity of some of the WTS/JW rules "principles"

Women can't wear pants to meetings or service or I've heard even to go clean the hall.

What scriptures would the elders use to get a JW to conform. You don't need to quote whatt he scripture and I certainly have no desire to do that but if you have the quotes handy feel free to post them.

THE RULE PRINCIPLE

Women should not wear pants to go to meetings or service or even to clean the hall

• ?
    • ?
    • ?

THE REALITY CHECK

How silly and petty are these rules and why - What purpose do they serve?

• ?
    • ?
    • ?

You don't have to provide both THE RULE and THE REALITY CHECK. The goal is to undo the guilt the WTS uses to control people even for the nitty gritty petty things in life.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

1 Corinthians 11:14 does seem to prohibit men against wearing their hair long. Of course, one could ask: How long is (too) long? Throughout history, various groups of people have defined themelves in reaction against other - usually dominant - groups of people. So, perhaps the Roman men of that era tended to wear their hair long. I read somewhere that the ancient Egyptians used to shave their heads bald, hence the Old Testament regulation that Israelite men NOT cut their hair.

• metaspy
    metaspy

I only knew the rule, never the reason.
    I guess I loose this round of the game.
    :-P

• megaflower
    megaflower

The only scripture that comes to mind for me is where it talks about being modest and well arranged clothing, do not be overly concerned with the braiding of the hair.

I was always so bugged about the dress code for women. Ibelieve the bottom line is the WTS is a good ole boys club and the majority do not like women, do not respect women. They are bullys who want to dominate. This is in all actuality a coward.

I do not know if I could ever wear a dress again. This is of some concern for me because my daughter is quite serious with a young man. I just know she will be engaged soon. The mother of the bride is suppose to wear a formal dress. Hmm ,will it be a problem.

• spanteach
    spanteach

Mega, how about a nice formal mother-of-the-bride pants suit? Cybil Shephard used to wear them all the time for red carpet arrivals and she looked nice. I agree about the dress code. Like the world will end if I don't have a skirt on. I remember the shock on my mother's face when I wore a skirt out in field service and she could see the bottom half of my knee-caps.

• loosie
    loosie

I think women look sexier in a skirt. So why they want us to wear them....hmmmm. Could it be that they want to see you bending over cleaning the toliet in your skirt. Maybe it's their version of playboy.

• oompa
    oompa

down south here, the ladies do get to wear jeans to clean the hall, and work outside it.........oompa

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

rapunzel.

1 Corinthians 11:14 does seem to prohibit men against wearing their hair long. Of course, one could ask: How long is (too) long? Throughout history, various groups of people have defined themelves in reaction against other - usually dominant - groups of people. So, perhaps the Roman men of that era tended to wear their hair long.

The Roman style for men was for short hair, cropped at the neck. The Corinthinian style was for transvestites of the hour, which were plentiful, to wear their hair like the woman of the day, long and 'up', hence Pauls repulsion. Paul was a bit of a self-righteous twit anyway, so do not worry too much about it. As it is, I am counting down the moments until our resident Messianic transvestite JCanon appears, dressed of course in a stunning two-piece with matching platinum wig, to give a more accurate explanation of his Scripture.

The safe thing to do in the C1st was to tell the 'elders' that you were a Nazirite born out of your time.

HS

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    THE RULE PRINCIPLE

Women should not wear pants to go to meetings or service or even to clean the hall

1. (1 Timothy 2:9-10) 9 Likewise I desire the women to adorn themselves in well-arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive garb, 10 but in the way that befits women professing to reverence God, namely, through good works.

2. Overly casual attire is immodest and inappropriate for worship.

• (Deuteronomy 22:5) 5 "No garb of an able-bodied man should be put upon a woman, neither should an able-bodied man wear the mantle of a woman; for anybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah your God.

THE REALITY CHECK

How silly and petty are these rules and why - What purpose do they serve?
      Despite 1 Timothy 2:9-10, women dress up with styles of hair braiding and gold and pearls and expensive garb for the meetings. They do so more for the Memorial or District Conventions. They compare and judge each other at the Hall, the same as people outside of JW's do by their dress.

It is a twist of your independent thinking to say "Overly casual attire is immodest and inappropriate for worship" and apply it to women's slacks. There are dressy pantsuits and modest slacks. And who cares about what covering you are wearing to clean the place? Ridiculous. While cleaning is sort of part of worship, you wouldn't be expected to dig a ditch in a skirt. Construction of a hall is also part of your worship, but tile setting women protect their legs on the floor with blue jeans. Most halls don't enforce the women's dress rules for cleaning, but Assembly Halls and such do.
      It seems like a way for men in charge to feel like they are actually "in charge" of the women. It is less important at the K.H. to feel "in charge" of the women and more important at larger facilities.
    • An article that discusses Deuteronomy 22:5:

w72 11/1 pp. 671-672 Questions From Readers***

Questions

From Readers

?

In view of what is written at Deuteronomy 22:5, is it proper for a woman to wear slacks?—U.S.A.

Deuteronomy 22:5 reads: "No garb of an able-bodied man should be put upon a woman, neither should an able-bodied man wear the mantle of a woman; for anybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah your God." This text is not discussing styles of clothing. The prohibition concerns one’s putting on things specifically designed for the opposite sex.

The distinction between the sexes is of divine origin and the law set forth at Deuteronomy 22:5 served to preserve that distinction. When it comes to appearance and attire, the usual thing is for a man to want to look like a man and for a woman to look like a woman. For an Israelite to have acted contrary to this deep internal sense of what is fitting could have led to homosexuality. Thus the law at Deuteronomy 22:5 also opposed this sin.

At the time the law was given, both men and women wore robes. But there was a definite difference between the garb of men and that of women. Similarly, in some parts of the earth today both men and women wear slacks. But styles of slacks for women differ from those for men.Accordingly, the principle taught at Deuteronomy 22:5 would not rule out a woman’s wearing slacks or pants.

Moreover, Christians are not under the Mosaic law. (Rom. 6:14) Insistence on applying the letter of this law would therefore be contrary to Christian teaching. So if a woman were to put on a worn-out pair of her husband’s trousers to do a job around the house or on the farm, she would not be going against the evident purpose of the law, namely, to prevent confusion of sexual identity and sexual abuses.

The fact that Christians are not under the Mosaic law but are guided by its principles calls for them to use discernment, good judgment and to exercise their conscience. A Christian woman appreciates that whether it would be proper for her to wear slacks or pants depends upon factors other than her personal likes. She would not want to be the cause for stumbling others or bring reproach on the Christian congregation. Clothing that may not be looked on with disfavor if worn in the privacy of one’s home or at work may be objectionable if worn at Christian meetings and when publicly proclaiming God’s Word or carrying on other public activity. Attitudes, too, may differ from area to area. The Bible’s counsel is that women "adorn themselves in well-arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, . . . in the way that befits women professing to reverence God, namely, through good works."—1 Tim. 2:9 10.

They admit it's okay to wear pants and that they are definitely feminine, but they have to slip in their control.
      "At Christian meetings and when publicly proclaiming..." DON'T DO IT.
  • Casper
    Casper
    down south here, the ladies do get to wear jeans to clean the hall, and work outside it.........oompa

We were also allowed to wear jeans when cleaning the hall, of coarse that was 10 years ago.

There is no way I would volunteer to scrub toilets in a dress.

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit