Retraining our WT-controlled minds - THE GAME 1

by Lady Lee 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Inspired by the thread about a mom wearing pants to the Kingdom Hall I thought this might be a good way to help many of us to see the absurdity of some of the WTS/JW rules "principles"

I'll post one "rule" a day

So let's start with the way men have to wear their hair. (We'll do the pants on women thing later so we don't detract from that thread)

What scriptures would the elders use to get a JW to conform. You don't need to quote whatt he scripture and I certainly have no desire to do that but if you have the quotes handy feel free to post them.

THE RULE PRINCIPLE

Men should conform to a certain style of hair length

• need for unity within the Christain congregation
    • he who is faithful in small things is faithful in the large things
    • must not stumble others

any others?

THE REALITY CHECK

How silly and petty are these rules and why

• unity is for beliefs not for a dress code
    • faithfulness in the length of hair doesn't mean a person doesn't believe in God/Jehovah
    • I can hear it now "Did you see how long that MS's hair is? I just don't understand how that could be allowed by the elders or Jehovah. I just don't think I can go to meetings any more because his hair really bothers me"

any others?

You don't have to provide both THE RULE and THE REALITY CHECK. The goal is to undo the guilt the WTS uses to control people even for the nitty gritty petty things in life.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Don't look at depictions of how Jesus or others wore their hair.
    Also, don't forget that even though all the Bible men had beards,
    they are wrong today. Don't focus on C.T. Russell either.
    Long hair or beards mean something extremely critical today- that
    you are rebellious and unfaithful.

• he who is faithful in small things is faithful in the large things

Statements like this are manipulators.

Similarly, "Company loyalty" is a slogan to keep you from interviewing
    for a job at the competition, and to make you feel guilty about quitting
    without 2 weeks notice. However, the employer will fire you on the spot
    and shop for your replacement while you are still doing the job.
    The "faithful in small things" statement is a way for the WTS to get you
    to do as they say, regardless of what they do. "Just cut your hair and
    shave your face before each and every meeting."

• must not stumble others

That's just reinforcement of the rule above it. Nothing more. Stumbling
    is such a terrible sin. In reality, you are appeasing WTS by doing what
    they say- it has nothing to do with stumbling other followers. Your
    reality check on this stumbling block is a great example of how silly this
    is.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

You are to be no part of the world (long hair being worldly of course)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have seen all too much of the "stumbling" arguments. It is very specious, and presumes that people are bicameral and we are the gods. Using others as an example is wrong--one person might be able to wear long hair neatly, while someone else is unable to grow it long without looking like a ragamuffin. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that hair length in men should not exceed 5 cm or 2" in length (most countries use metric).

If anything, I could point to countless Bible examples where men wore their hair much longer. The Nazarites were never supposed to cut their hair, and thus their hair could exceed a meter in length (for sure, more than the 5 cm/2" that they try for now). Jesus had long hair (for sure, more than 5 cm), plus a beard. And do we see anyone stumbled because he, who is supposed to be the example for everyone, had longer hair than the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger wants?

• minimus
    minimus

Lately, in the local news, I see schools cracking down on longer hair. They've even sent some kids home because their locks were unruly. They find it's "distracting". I suppose the Society looks at it similarly. But I also think they want to seperate Witnesses from the "worldly". EVERYTHING has to be in moderation. The result is that JW clones can never grow to THEIR full potential.

• Ruth Eeker
    Ruth Eeker

yeahh...a family member had to not style his hair so "spiky" or he couldn't aux. pioneer.

Spiky Hair is bad....too much like the world...and you're not using gel in moderation! lol

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ruth - that is a new one for me - spiked hair

I wonder if the elders go around to measure it?

• Ruth Eeker
    Ruth Eeker

Ya, I know!!!! Maybe it just displeasing to the elders since they were losing their hair.

His hair wasn't even THAT bad....not high at all......it looked worse afterwards cause he combed and gel-ed it to the side
    and then it just looked long and greasy! lol

There was also a huge deal about guys and highlights too. A bunch lost their priviledges...and it wasn't even purple or blue
    highlights...some caramel brownie highlights!

So pathetic.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

BTTT for Bethel readers

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The Goal is that every male look like a machinery salesman from Omaha in 1960.

Shaved heads will get the 'privilage card' revoked just as quickly too.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit