WARNING: Baptism Guilt Talk coming to a K Hall near you in April.

by Open mind 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just a heads up to anyone who might still attend the occasional meeting, there's gonna be a major GUILT TALK on the Service Meeting during the week starting April 7, 2008. It's entitled "Why Put Off Baptism?" (Kinda weirdly worded title if you ask me. Sounds like it would be a list of good reasons to put it off.) Anyway, it's supposed to based on a Watchtower article from mid-2006 and is to include a couple of interviews with JWs who got baptized young and are glad they did.

I think we're gonna make some non-K Hall plans for that week.

OM

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Read between the lines:

Parents, get them baptized young. Why should you take a chance that they really are of
    age to be responsible for their own standing with God when the Big A comes any day now?

Statistics show that (out of guilt and fear) a slightly higher number of pre-teens stay in the cult
    if they were baptized, than if they were not. We want that slightly higher number. We need
    positive growth in 2008.

I imagine the campaign for making them start "publishing" later this year if your young ones are
    not ready for baptism. That's the real "needed" growth for the yearbook statistics.

• mind my own
    mind my own

Hmm, maybe I will go to the meeting that week and give my experience. As much as I would love to do that, I guarantee - no one else there would like to hear what I have to say.

Sigh...

MMO

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

"Why put off Baptism?" below there will be a picture of me, with "This will happen to you if you put it off".

• dinah
    dinah

I really wish mine could be made void, I wasn't old enough to enter into a legal contract at the time.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Dinah, sounds like an interesting court case, I doubt any court would ever hear the case but very interesting to think about it.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

I can relate. I got baptized under duress when I was 14, hardly an age where you have the experience in life and maturity to make such a life-impacting decision. How is small, young children getting dipped any different than infant baptism that the Borg used to constantly rail about in "Christendom"?

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Parents, get them baptized young. Why should you take a chance that they really are of
    age to be responsible for their own standing with God when the Big A comes any day now?

when the family nags us about our son getting baptized...first time around age 10, teh age 12, and every year since I jus tell tehm that Jesus was perfect, the Son of God, had lived in Heaven before AND was 30 when he was dunked. So many kids get baptized then become adolscents and now have the guilt of a CONTRACT to deal with. And the jw's criticize the Catholics for baptizing babies....

• auxillaryapostate
    auxillaryapostate

HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT IS STILL IN. HER SON IS 10 AND SHE DOES STILL LET ME KEEP THEM [HAS A GIRL7] FROM TIME TO TIME. MY GRANDSON HAS ASK ME WHY I QUIT GOING TO THE MEETINGS AND I TOLD HIM IF I TELL HIM THE TRUTH, HIS MOTHER WOULD NOT LET HIM SEE ME AGAIN. I told him they push the young ones to get BAPTISED AND FOR HIM TO REMEMBER WE ARE SUPPOSED TO FOLLOW IN JESUS FOOTSTEPS AND THE BIBLE SAYS JESUS WAS BAPTISED AT 30. I ASK HIM NOT TO TELL HIS MOTHER ABOUT OUR TALKS OR HE WOULDN'T GET TO SEE ME ANYMORE. HE SAID HE WOULD NEVER TELL SO I TOLD HIM WHEN HE GOT OLDER AND COULD UNDERSTAND THE THINGS THEY TEACH I WOULD LET HIM READ FOR HIS SELF SOME OF THE THINGS THEY HAVE TAUGHT. TOLD HIM TO NEVER GET BAPTISED UNTILL WE HAVE THAT TALK.

• sspo
    sspo

Encourage them to get baptized at ten, eventually DF at 17 and be rejected from then on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit