Shunning taken to the extreme

by unbeliever 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

When I was df't as a teenager I was declared "dead" by my parents and family. Although there was cordial contact over the years, every contact I attempted ended in another attempt to push their guilt trips so I pretty much avoided any contact. It is easy to conceive how a person could get on with life with a new family (in-laws) and have no need to contact the family that rejects everything about a person. Why subject oneself and children to such destructive interaction? Although it sounds bazzar, it is necessary of developing a healthy life to keep out the influence of dysfunctional family, sad as it sounds. carmel

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I for one would never settle for being tossed the emotional crumbs of family or friends. Either I am a full family member or we are nonexistent to each other. No compromise. Allowing them to set and enforce the boundries of relationships reinforces their position, and then they call all the shots.

It seems to me that JWs will shun family members assuming that they have every right to do so without consequences.

W

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

Jehovah's happy people strike again.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The worldly family that K keeps in touch with may find it too difficult to mention what's going on his life to his parents. I know my worldly aunt dreads talking to my mom about me, because it just starts the whole conversation up again about why she is shunning me. My aunt always winds up crying. It's just not worth the effort for her to go through it over and over again.

• real one
    real one

this reminds me of the story i read about michael jackson and latoya. the bros told him not to speak to her because she was df so he told her he could not speak to her. he asked marlon brando what he thought about it. marlon told him damn michael you can get another religion but you only have one sister. those people are crazy and heartless

• avishai
    avishai

Whoa, there folks, we don't know what this guy's folks have done to him. I admire the sentiment, but sometimes, it just don't work. I have JW relatives on BOTH sides, that have done some violent, illegal, stuff to my family. And they COUNTED on the jw thing about "not taking your brother to court". It's all well and good to be loving in spite of the JW's, but you have to protect yourself and your kids. A sense of entitlement and a lack of natural and unconditional love (jw's) is an extremely dangerous combination, one that I for one will NOT have around my kids.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I think it's all on the parents. They signed up for that shit, so the got what they deserved. That's justice right there, even if it is only poetic justice.

• mouthy
    mouthy

It just wouldn't look good to outsiders Lee sounds just like your MUM....

Real One> I dont believe that....Where did you hear that?

Isnt it sad what a few old men & Brooklyn Bethel can make people do... HATE! HATE! HATE when anyone wont follow them ....

• new boy
    new boy

Well I guess I look at things a little differently....

I think we need to display love, even if they can't...

Personaly I would have wrote a letter about my marriage and then about my kids....(their grand kids). It would say something like...

Dear Mom and Dad

I just want you to know I'm getting married next month to a wonderful girl who loves me unconditionaly, which sadly to say you can not. We plan to have children....which I'm sure, your going to want to see, but since I'm not welcome in your home, it would make no sence to let them come over. Has a parent I will always love my children unconditionaly, no matter what religion they choose for themselfs in their later years .....and since you and Dad don't have that ability....I and my family have no deisre to be around either of you....When you stop serving your hateful god give us a call.

Love always your son.

• mouthy
    mouthy

newboy!!!Lovely letter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit