Why is today the only day of the year when I feel guilty?

by And He Ran 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Next year I hope will be my first absence. All I'll need to think about is how ridiculous this year's memorial talk was.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I'd just say that since at the original "memorial" only annointed were present and it mentions nothing about "observers," it's reasonable to conclude that only the annointed need to be there. Of course, observing Christ's last supper isn't the real reason to be there. More people are at the KH that night than any other in the year. It's a recruitment rally, nothing more.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Mental programming is a bitch! Some times just when you think you have all the files erased, along come ghost in the mental machine.

• And He Ran
    And He Ran

Belatedly, thank you all for your postings and thoughts which contained some great tips and ways of looking at the situation. You were a great help. I just could not put my finger on the reason exactly on why I was feeling guilty. I think that with time it will get easier and I will feel less guilty. The phrase "you are slapping Christ across the face" comes to mind that some JW used a few years ago about non-attending the Memorial. I am sure that I didn't need to be at that Hall on that night to show honour to Christ. There are other ways.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you believe you should honor Christ, then honor Christ by the way of your choosing.

The JW Memorial makes members deny Christ by not partaking. If you are of the mindset
    that you should partake, go where you can partake or partake at home.

If you accept that you should partake, the Bible never said it had to be during the first
    full moon of Spring, or any other rule like that. Some Churches partake on a regular basis.

If your guilt is a leftover feeling that JW's might be "The Truth" then you need to do more
    research to settle that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit