Pathological President defends Iraq War

by nvrgnbk 39 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The admnistration has lost its way, and cannot explain to the American people or even its own troops why we are there and what a victory would look like.

Well that is just bullshit!

We were there to depose the Baathist regime--a regime in violation of the cease fire established at the end of Gulf War I (that alone furnishes all the cassus belli needed).

We did ouster them, and quickly too. We are there to rebuild the country, destroy any terrorist cells that have migrated in, and leave a a secure representative democracy in our wake

I have taken issue with the strategy before, I have been and still am of the mind that the country should have been split in three but the above is just baloney!

The American public will vote in November, based in part on which position they support.

Americans are going to vote based on economics this cycle, not the war.

BTS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I have been and still am of the mind that the country should have been split in three

I always knew you were a Biden fan.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I always knew you were a Biden fan.

Your sarcasm aside, if he is right he is right. I think it would have been an easier road than to build a democracy by gluing together the three groups in a democracy. That kind of thing usually requires a striongman ala Saddam. But still. If it works out it will be badass.

BTS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Your sarcasm aside

Rest assured, it was good-natured, as always.

if he is right he is right. I think it would have been an easier road than to build a democracy by gluing together the three groups in a democracy. That kind of thing usually requires a striongman ala Saddam. But still. If it works out it will be badass.

BTS

I actually agree with you. Since the clock can't be turned back, this is making the best of a bad situation, IMO.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

What are your thoughts on what the future holds for Iraq if the US does pull out next year ?

I think there will be some positives left for the region in general at varying levels but its all dependent in how stable the Iraqi government can

control the country, the big if ?

• 5go
    5go

Remember folks Bush said "mission accomplished". Therefore the mission is accomplished, let us therefore say we have won and leave Iraq already.

• 5go
    5go
    if he is right he is right. I think it would have been an easier road than to build a democracy by gluing together the three groups in a democracy. That kind of thing usually requires a striongman ala Saddam. But still. If it works out it will be badass.

BTS

OK the problem is the Iraqi people have picked one (Al Sadr) and the powers that be don't like him. Much for the same reason they don't like the iotolas of Iran.

• Carlos_Helms
    Carlos_Helms

"Carlos, I'm quite surprised you even argued this point. It's been known for quite a while that America's involvement in Iraq has radicalized a lot of young folks in the Middle East against America. Can't you see it?"

Dude...I've been there. The radicalization process has increased OUTSIDE of Iraq because the Coalition has drawn a "line in the sand," so to speak. You're reading too much popular American newspaper if you believe an American presence has increased anything but insurgency (which it was intended to do). Let them stream across the border and allow the 10th Mountain Division or the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (15 MEU, ooo-rah) deal with them. Gopher, you need to get your head out of the deep, dark crevasse of American agenda-pushing liberalism and see the light. All kinds of good things are happening in Iraq for Iraq...including the elimination of a lot of "radicalized young folks" from elsewhere who believe that Sharia Law should be World Law.

Carlos

• Gopher
    Gopher

BTS -- the point of this whole thread is that Bush CONTINUES to defend exactly what his administration is continuing to do in Iraq. I am not arguing about the initial overthrow of the Baathist regime. I'm arguing about what we're still doing there 5 years later, when our own soldiers do not know why they are there, and the definition of victory is murky or unattainable.

On the point about the troops being misled as to the reason they are there, note this link from 2006: http://wcco.com/intheknow/2.373616.html

In The Know: Misinformation In Iraq

by Don Shelby

(WCCO) There is a lot of talk of misinformation being broadcast about why we are in Iraq. Don Shelby says that's not the half of it.

Let me begin by saying that we support our troops. The sacrifices they, and their families, make to serve in the military are often forgotten by the ungrateful or the mislead.

I am not one of those people, however if a recent poll taken in Iraq by Zogby International is true, the troops themselves are being misled.

According to the poll, approved by the Pentagon, 85 percent of Americans fighting in Iraq think they are there to punish Saddam Hussein for his role in the terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

That is demonstrably false.

There is an old argument that soldiers don't need to know why they are fighting, only that they are ordered to do so. We used to say, "Not to reason why, but to do or die."

There may be good reasons to fight in Iraq, but Saddam's connection to Sept. 11 is not one of them.

This year, Florida congressman Robert Wexler pointedly questioned American General David Petraeus about the current goals of the occupation of Iraq. Here is part of Wexler's critique of the general's responses.

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/index.cfm/page/weblog/subpage/display_blog/bid/3D579F9B-E0C9-CC83-B73C6E5C8168832F

I have to say that the opening of Petraeus’s statement caught me immediately :

”It is interest that as I stated have to do with Al Qaeda, a sworn enemy of the United States and the free world, has to do with the possible spread of sectarian conflict in Iraq, conflict that had engulfed that country and had it on the brink of Civil War.”

I wonder if General Petraeus actually realizes that none of these conditions existed prior to this country’s invasion and occupation of that country.

Congressman Wexler does a fine job of critiquing the rest of the general’s response:

” He stated that we were fighting for national interest, including region's "importance to the global economy." (In my mind, a stunning admission of the true motives behind this war.)

He stated that they were trying to achieve a country that is "at peace with itself and its neighbors," "could defend itself" that was "reasonably representative of and broadly responsive to its citizens."

These are not reasonable objectives. Half the countries around the world are not able to defend themselves. Many have internal and external conflict - and few - including our own, are broadly responsive to its citizens.

(I find that last objective sadly ironic, as the Bush Administration, by continuing this misguided war, is broadly unresponsive to American citizens.)

I was out of time before I could ask a follow up… but if you read between the lines, his answer is vast in its scope. Clearly, their goals for Iraq and interpretation of "national interest" are wholly at odds with a swift redeployment of forces.

And I'd say, clearly the administration has keep redefining "progress" in the Iraq situation, in order to promote the image of progress while attempting to keep war critics at bay.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    The American public will vote in November, based in part on which position they support.

Americans are going to vote based on economics this cycle, not the war.

Dude, re-read my post -- I said "in part". The war/occupation in Iraq will definitely be discussed and debated, and it already is -- by both McCain and Obama. If McCain runs entirely on economics, I think his chances of being elected will be DOA. He's running on keeping the country secure -- I've already seen his TV ads in Minnesota.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit