Did Prayer work for you, or not?

by gaiagirl 42 Replies latest jw friends

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Shane, I am sorry for your loss. In 2005 I lost a good friend who died from a prescription drug and alcohol interaction. He was a good man in college with a bright future ahead of him. He left behind a mother who was already suffering from chronic depression. They were not Witnesses. More than anything else, she wanted assurance that her son had gone to a better place, that he must be in heaven. It was the only way for her to bear her grief. As a Witness at the time, I could tell her that I believed that she would see him again (assuming she survived Armageddon; hypocritical Witness thinking, I know).

Also, in 2005, I found my own grandmother dead. She was 91 years old. I had spoken with her a few hours earlier in the day and went in to check on her after she had gone to bed. She died in her sleep. I believed I would see her again one day in Paradise (assuming I survived Armageddon).

I am no longer a Witness. I don't know what, if anything, happens after death. All we have are stories written by people, passed down by people. They call them "holy" writings, but I now just think they are old writings. If there is a divine entity, then it seems to me to be a pretty cruel one to allow intelligent, sentient human beings to suffer depression and drug addiction and untimely death, not to mention the grief felt by those who survive. Why?

I will just echo what Bigmouth said and leave it at that.

Dave

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Shane, I wish God would have saved your daughter and screwed the cards, but thats just me.

And to you I give my sincerest condolences and sympathies.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

NO ----------Prayer didn't work for me.

And we all die.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit