Did Prayer work for you, or not?

by gaiagirl 42 Replies latest jw friends

• The Doc 58
    The Doc 58

No, but i never really prayed much. When i first left the organization i told my mother that i didn't believe in god and she responded by telling me to pray more. Think of how illogical that is.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

NO! it was an exercise in futility, made you feel good for a few moments but that is the extent of it.

• sspo
    sspo

Never in 32 years as a JW.

There is good and bad happening to everyone on earth.

Those that pray choose to believe that Almighty or Jesus had something to do with it.

Born again christians are even worse than JW's thinking that jesus was there for them everytime

some good happens in their lives but excuse him as "tha's God's will" when things don't go their way.

• The Doc 58
    The Doc 58

There's an episode of Futurama where Bender floats away in space and Fry wants to find him. So, Fry goes to the church and asks the minister, is there anything we can do to find Bender? and the minister says, "we can pray." Then Fry says, "Is there anything we can really do to find Bender?" The minster responds, "NO"

• mouthy
    mouthy

Born again christians are even worse than JW's
    Your just insulted me

• NanaR
    NanaR

Yes...

Ruth

• mouthy
    mouthy

bump

• Undecided
    Undecided

No matter how much I pray I'm going to die anyway in a few years, or maybe today.

Ken P.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Prayer works just fine in getting in touch with ones own inner thoughts, fears, hopes, to realize what needs to be done in order to fix things. It calms you down, gives you focus, and let's you dump your worries onto something you believe is bigger than us, which - true or not - takes a load off you. So does it work? Yes, I think it can.

Does it work in a supernatural way, where a deity fixes or lightens your problems and burdens, big and small? Not in my experience.

I think pretty much the same way Awakened07.

When I left JW, I prayed like I had never prayed before as a JW. I was not very good at it as a JW. It seemed I was being cared for by a higher power, the way things fell into place. But in looking back, it was probably my personal focus and attention to the situation.

However, as with most people, there are things, coincidences or whatever, that have happened that defy explanation, and sure didn't come from my doing. So I don't know about those. Like I've said before, I would like to think there is a sky daddy watching over me and taking care of me. And I could almost believe it, except, he should be taking care of everybody equally. And for that, I doubt that is happening.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

When having doubts I prayed for god to make me believe if the JWs were his people, or to show me what I should believe.

I'm here.

Did it work?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit