Evidence of Jesus Outside the New Testament (long article)

by lovelylil 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gopher
    Gopher

Jesus, if he existed, seemed to be a failed Jewish revolutionary, executed by Rome for trying to set up his own rulership. The Romans didn't like that sort of thing.

Early Christians built up a mythology around a man who supposedly worked miracles. As was stated earlier, just because a name is mentioned in certain documents that came later does not make that name historical. What we need to see is documents FROM THE SAME ERA, especially if Jesus "turned Jerusalem upside down" with his message as the New Testament claims. Those concurrent documents are sadly missing. If someone was divine, certainly he could have left more concurrent evidence behind. Belief in Christ has always been and continues be all about FAITH.

• startingover
    startingover

Lovelylil

By starting the thread, are you trying to influence others to beleive the way you do, which by your own admission is ultimatedly based on faith? It seems that no matter what proof was given to the contrary of your beliefs, you will eventually play the faith card.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

lovelylil:

because belief in the Jesus of Christianity IS a matter of faith after all.

What a strange comment in a thread you started to provide evidence for the existence of such a person. What it says to me is that you have chosen to believe without evidence in this person and the associated mythology of Christianity, but in order to bolster this belief with the rational part of your mind you look for evidence to support it. You give undue credence to any supporting evidence however feeble, and you reject outright any contradictory evidence. If there is no supporting evidence, well that doesn't matter because you have "faith" and don't really need the evidence after all.

Can you imagine behaving this way with respect to any other belief? Why should belief in Jesus be based on a different standard to belief in any other historical or mythological character?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

funnyDerek and Startingover,

You are BOTH misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. It is to provide evidence outside the New Testament that a man named Jesus lived in the time of the early Christian church, was worshipped by his followers, and died by crucifixation. Because many on this board and in the world in general, claim there is absolutely NO evidence outside the NT about Jesus, I started this thread.

The thread was not started to CONVINCE or CONVERT anyone to Christianity. And what is a matter of FAITH is HOW we percieve the Jesus of the NT. Yes, there is evidence he existed, but whether or not he was GOD is a matter of faith.

If either of you can point to any thread I have EVER started on this forum as a "pulpit" to convert others to Christianity, please point it out to me. I have never done that. But this is a public forum and if non-believers give their opinions that NO evidence exists of a Jesus, then we who believe otherwise have a right to post contrary information.

Also IF as unbelievers you can constantly give opinions against Christianity and the Bible, then we believers can counter with our own information from time to time.

Again, I am not trying to convert anyone. This thread is mainly for believers so that when someone asks THEM if there is any evidence of Jesus by non-Christian sources, they may point out the information in this article. That is WHY this article is posted under "bible research". I always thought Bible Research was for those interested in the Bible to begin with.

Anyway, hope this clears up my intentions. Peace to all, Lilly

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Also IF as unbelievers you can constantly give opinions against Christianity and the Bible, then we believers can counter with our own information from time to time.

Amen

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

The problem with this evidence is that it's not really evidence at all. Take a look at it:

Tacitus

This is basically stating that there were Christians, there's no doubt of that being the case.

Pliny The Younger

This is again about Christians meeting on a certain day. Because there are Christians doesn't mean there was an actual person named Jesus Christ that lived.

Josephus

This is admitted in the next paragraph that it is a possible forgery. I think that discounts that quote entirely.

Babylonia Talmud

This one is saying he was hanged, then it says he is going forth to be stoned. That doesn't seem to really fit the account, who knows if they're even talking about the same person, aren't there false messiahs noted elsewhere in history?

Lucian

This is just describing what Christians believe, because there's a belief in a person doesn't mean that person exhists. I see pictures and hear stories of Santa claus all the time, does that mean he exhists?

There's not one, un-forged account stating "There is a man named Jesus Christ who is travelling around Galilee healing the sick, performing miracles, and being heralded as the son of God." The first century is one of the most documented times in human history, Jesus was the son of God I can't think of anyone more important than that. The son of God living in one of the most documented times in human history and 5 quotes are all that can be found about him, 3 of which only mention his followers, one is an admitted forgery and the final one says he died 2 different ways and calls him by a different name.

I'm not really finding this article very compelling.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Tuesday,

You are not reading very carefully;

From Tacitus

Nero fastened the guilt . . . on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of . . . Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome. . . .{5

From Pliny

They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food--but food of an ordinary and innocent kind.{10

From the Talmud

On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald . . . cried, "He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy."{21

And so forth, go back and read about Josephus. No one said the whole of the information about Jesus was a forgery. It is said some adding information (not the name Jesus), MAY have been edited in later. Then again MAY means MAYBE NOT too. Also, about hanging on a tree, that DID in fact refer to cruxifiction as it mentions in the article. I've heard this same term applied to what happened to Jesus by people in our modern era. Peace, Lilly

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

From Tacitus

Nero fastened the guilt . . . on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of . . . Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome. . . .{5

From Pliny

They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food--but food of an ordinary and innocent kind.{10

From the Talmud

On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald . . . cried, "He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy."{21

I'm pretty sure I was reading carefully, the first 2 you put there are refering to the Christians worshipping Christ. One says that Christians had their name origin from Christ. That just seems to be describing Christian beliefs. I can describe Muslim beliefs and it doesn't automatically prove that Muhammed exhisted. Egyptians worshipped Ra the Sun God, there's a believed history of Ra, does that prove that Ra must've exhisted because people followed him.

The second verse same as the first, they were worshipping Christ. Doesn't mean he exhisted.

Because someone named Jeshu was hanged (Crucified) for sorcery (miracles?) or enticing Israel to apostacy (going against Rome?) doesn't make it Jesus. Lots of people were crucified back then. It doesn't mention anything about Pilate trying to not crucify Jesus, the charges don't even really match the bible's account. So either Jesus did exhist and the bible is wrong about his death or this Talmud is talking about another guy.

The Josephus thing saying "Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't" towards the forgery is really just a cop out. There's proof it's been tampered with. That's just trying to get away with using a questionable passage to prove a questionable point.

Once again this is one of the most documented points in human history and there are only 5 notes about the Son of God in all the documents from that time? Sorry I really just don't find this very convincing at all. There's no direct quote literally saying "Jesus of Nazareth supposed son of God is travelling around Galilee performing miracles and teaching a new form of Judaeism."

No quotes exhist, the best is a passage of questionable validity, a passage which may or may not be talking about Jesus death (for different reasons and circumstances than the bible), and 3 passages talking about the origin of a newly formed religious group. Still very unconvincing.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

lilly....What you posted were historical records of early Christianity as it was in the early second century (in the case of Tacitus, Pliny, and Lucian), or the later second or third centuries (in the case of rabbinical references), and they are valuable and informative on early Christian practice, Roman attitudes towards Christians, and so forth. When when something like Pliny's description of Christian worship is then pressed into becoming "independent evidence" of the historical Jesus, that is taking things too far. Pliny mentions Christ only as the object of Christian adoration and worship in his own day; he provides nothing of historical value pertaining to the life of Jesus of Nazareth, no more than a description of the activities of Buddhists would furnish information on the historical Siddhartha. Whatever he says about his observations of Christians as he saw them is clearly drawn from his own personal interactions with them, so he hardly supplies "independent" testimony of Jesus from a separate non-Christian source. Pliny simply describes what he sees the Christians doing.

The same goes with the notices of Tacitus and Lucian...these are similarly dependent on Christian reports. The reference in Tacitus is far more important than the one in Pliny because he does at least make explicit reference to the author of the religion and he mentions him as a person who lived and died at a particular place and time. But as I mentioned in my last post, his notice shows the signs of hearsay dependence on Christian kerygma about Christ (e.g. "Christ" is what Christians called their founder and not what independent Roman sources would have called him, the incorrect title of "procurator" is what people in his day would have called the office of governor and not what actual Roman records of Pilate would have said, and the content of the statement is found in early credal formulations like those in Ignatius, Magnesians 11:1, Trallians 9:1, Smyrnaeans 1:2; Justin Martyr, Apology 1.13.3, 1.61.13, Irenaeus, Adversus Haereses 2.23.4, 3.4.2, etc.), and it is unlikely that he would have undertaken archival research on what he regarded as a "pernicious superstition", especially one with so recent vintage.... he would have been happy to accept what Christians were saying at face value because it only further supports his negative depiction of Christians (in Roman thought, the greater the antiquity of a religious tradition, the more respectable it is). Moreover, Tacitus was proconsul of Asia around the same time Pliny was governor of Bithynia (i.e. in AD 112-113, and he wrote Annals in c. AD 117), and in fact he was a personal friend of Pliny, who not only wrote about Christians but who also interrogated them personally and thus probably heard their creed when they testified their faith in the face of persecution. It is therefore far more probable that he had firsthand or secondhand knowledge of the "superstitution" and its creed than the alternative.

Christ being crucified under Pontius Pilates reign would have been public knowledge.

It would have been public knowledge precisely because of Christian preaching and evangelism. That is where the average person would have heard that Christ was "crucified under Pontius Pilate"; this was a very basic element of the Christian faith that was being spread far and wide by missionaries, evangelists, and ordinary Christians who wanted to share their faith. But back in AD 33 or whenever it was, the actual crucifixion of Jesus would hardly have been something the average Roman citizen would have even heard about. From the Roman point of view, it was just one out of countless other executions of slaves, troublemakers, thieves, etc. taking place all throughout the empire, much less in a backwater province like Judea. Jesus would have only spent a very brief amount of time before Pilate (just a few hours in a single day), who executed him among several other people slated for execution, at the busiest time of the year in Jerusalem -- who knows how many other seditious people there were (like Barabbas, who also would have been slated for execution) that would have shared the same honor as Jesus during the Passover season, let alone the rest of the year, let alone throughout Pilate's tenure as prefect (indeed, Josephus suggests that Pilate had to frequently deal with this problem). Yet by the turn of the century, there were thousands of Christians throughout the empire trumpeting the fact that Jesus had been crucified under Pontius Pilate, as a fundamental article of faith. While Jesus was a complete nobody to the average Roman during the time he lived, he was everything to his small band of followers who in the decades since expanded into a sizeable movement. If the assertion that he was crucified under Pontius Pilate was publically known in the second century, it was through their efforts to make that publically known.

Note that I am not assessing the validity of the information provided by either Tacitus or Christian sources like the gospels or Ignatius. What I am assessing instead is the likelihood that Tacitus furnishes independent testimony about the life of Jesus, i.e. independent from Christian testimony or influence.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Leolaia,

I understand now what you are saying. Thanks for wieghing in on this topic. Peace, Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit