Failure....oompa did not take his life back

by oompa 39 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

I have been a heavey drinker...mostly hard liquors...off and on for many years..28. I did not struggle with this, as I just drank all I felt like having. I am a friendly drinker, and used to party hard with my elder buddies...they could really hold it. But oftentimes I get used to nightly drinking...drinking alone....concealing how much I drink in front of my wife and sons. Even worse, when I am really alone, as in for a few days without my wife around, I have started "checking out" way more than in years past....drinking larger quantities for more than a day at a time. I usually remember very little of this time.

I was at the beach for the past 6 days, actually with two dfd friends (more my sons friends) and made a very poor decision....I was charged with a DUI, but was not driving a car or a truck or my motorcycle, and that may be in my favor. I had to call my friends to get me out of Jail. I had to call my dear wife to come drive me back home as I have no license now....that was one of the lowest moments of my life. She is incredibly supportive. To say I have been horribly depressed since this happend several days ago is an understatment, it has been devastating. However I am trying to turn this into "the best thing that ever happened to me!" Please tell me this event will make me stop for good..............................oompa

in reality I have one friend one 9DUI's, and one with 5 who is facing his second year in prison as a result.

• dinah
    dinah

Oompa, what were you driving?? Are you sure you weren't charged with public intox? Sorry you're having such a rough time.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Tell us why you think you've failed , on the contrary I think you've won your life back from the clutches of a mentally controlling and damaging cult.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    I was charged with a DUI, but was not driving a car or a truck or my motorcycle, and that may be in my favor.

Please indulge me how do you get a dui without driving?

hope

• JK666
    JK666
    Oompa, Welcome to the club.

I got my first DUI in 1994, and it should have woke me up. It was my first brush with the law ever. I vehemently denied that I was an alcoholic, and became an even worse one trying to prove I wasn't. Please wake up now before the situation worsens for you. By the way, the reason I was disfellowshipped both times was because of getting DUI's. If it gets to the elders, you may face problems.

I will be available to talk to you tonight, just let me know if you would like that. I just got back into town a few minutes ago, and responded to your PM as soon as I got it.

I love ya bro, I know it sucks!

John
  • Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

OK now I understand your statement

Still haven't kicked the booze thing hey oompa

Try and and show some responsibility for a change, you have sons that are looking and watching what your doing

Booze is a socially damaging activity and an obvious health hazard too, you aren't an adolescent any more and you should know better.

In other words grow the f..k up.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

How will you know when you HAVE taken your life back?

• oompa
    oompa

Dinah, at this beach you can get DUI on a scooter/moped, golf cart, 4-wheeler, electric wheelchair, but not a horse...I unfortunately was not on a horse. Really bad luck.

Homerovah:

Tell us why you think you've failed , on the contrary I think you've won your life back from the clutches of a mentally controlling and damaging cult.

Well you are right here, they have mentally damaged me, but just waking up does not fix everything unfortunately..............oompa

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    just waking up does not fix everything unfortunately

Nope. Once you wake up, you have to get to work to create the life you want.

As much as you disagree, I think AA is where you need to be. Not all AA groups are the same. If you scout around, you should be able to find a group that you can work with. You may have to conceed a little, but that may be what it takes to get the process working.

-Aude.

• cognac
    cognac

You know what I was thinking Oompa??? You never had to post this thread... The fact that you did IS A VERY BIG DEAL!!!

You did something that took a lot of guts.

Even if you feel that you kept drinking and so "failed" you didn't, cause you are making progress. If you were not making progress, you never would have admitted something you didn't want to change...

Please, tell us about the next step that you want to take. Get people more involved with this, so that way you feel more accountable and have support.

The very fact that you even posted this thread... WOW, I'm very proud of you Oompa!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit