Did You Consider Yourself a "Good Witness"?

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• loosie
    loosie

The PO of my congo once told a new sister that I was giving a ride home to that I was "good people". that was before I eloped. after that I wasn't such good people anymore.

I always felt like I wasn't good enough. How can you not feel that way when 3 times a week you are being told that you can do more?

My husbands best friend ( while we were dating ) told him that I wasn't spirtual enough. That made me feel bad until it dawned on me that spirtual meant submissive. I would have been the first to tell you that I wasn't submissive. My name is Loosie not doormat.

• oldseeker2
    oldseeker2

Thanks minimus. You are right, I am no longer a Watchtower believer.

I would like to add that a real defining moment came for me this past WT study when we considered Isa. 45:14 in the study. Actually I've known about this for some time, but to hear it expounded on in the study just made it that much worse. The application is nothing more than blatant idolatry of the Faithful and Discrete Slave. The paragraph staed that this scripture was prophetic of the relationship of the other sheep with the anointed (the FDS). The scripture: "This is what Jehovah has said: "The unpaid laborers of Egypt and the merchants of Ethiopia and the Sabeans, tall men, will themselves come over even to you, and yours they will become. Behind you they will walk; (it is at this point that the society places a period as if the sentence ended there, but it continues) in fetters they will come over, and to you they will bow down. To you they will pray, [saying,] 'Indeed God is in union with you, and there is no one else; there is no [other] God.'"

So, my struggle continues.

oldseeker2

• minimus
    minimus

I'm a bit confused.

Why do you still go to meetings and what exactly are you struggling with??

• oldseeker2
    oldseeker2

Minimus:

I tend to look for the good where I can find it, mostly it is in the people not in the religion. There are many, even in my congregation, who have serious questions about the many changes in the org. I have been able to direct conversations to encourage them to look to Jehovah and Jesus as their only salvation, not the org. For now, I accept that as my ministry of sorts.

The struggle is doing this with a straight face! But, as it is, it is a somewhat rewarding struggle because I can see the changes in thinking some are making. It's slow, but as long as can tolerate it, I'm in. Is it hypocritical to do this, probably. But, if I leave, I lose my voice and you know that.

oldseeker2

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

OS2 -

Nice to have you here. I too was deeply impressed with Daniel Taylor's statement regarding religion. I have not read his book, but found the quote in Ray Franz' books.

Tell us more when you have the time or chance. In your current situation, you will need all the support you can get, though I personally avoid E-watchman like a plague. He is trying to fill the Watchtower void with himself I fear. Just my opinion.

Jeff

• minimus
    minimus

It's like trying to repair old wineskins! You shouldn't for obvious reasons.

Your ministry is an ineffective one, I hate to tell you. I agree there's plenty of "good" people who are Witnesses but trying to slowly and clandestinely get them to see the reality of the Organization is fruitless. I think YOU aren't 100% ready to simply leave the cult. Because you must acknowledge---you are in a cult still.

• oldseeker2
    oldseeker2

Jeff:

I didn't realize Ray Franz had quoted him, I just obtained Ray's first book and have read a few chapters.

I realize the difficulties on e-watchman. I started out there and benefitted greatly from the essays and commentaries. But, I have noticed a change and I rarely visit there anymore. More curiosity then anything. I believe many forums and people have their own agenda. I'm trying to approach this by not letting my ego (another discussion perhaps) make the decisions for me, even a spiritual ego is not a good thing. It all seems to come down to someone wanting to prove themselves right. But, in doing so you attempt to make everyone else wrong.

minimus:

I appreciate your concern. I don't believe I am in any real spiritual danger. Only time will tell if I have any success. Is it a cult? It does walk and talk like a duck doesn't it? Really though, I have no arguments with anyone. I don't believe you can actually win an argument, you might think you've won, but in reality the other person tires of the argument and just goes on believing what they want to or they just give up and walk away. I think if you put the food in front of them and let them make the choice, and let them believe it was their choice, then you have accomplished your ministry and won a friend. Slow? Yes, but a lot more peaceful.

oldseeker2

• undercover
    undercover

I was both a "good" dub and a "weak" dub. Just depends on the period of my life.

I was a good JW growing up and except for a few minor teenage troubles quickly became an MS and was considered a good example to all the other youths.

I stagnated in my mid 20s and after marriage became "weak" and missed a lot of meetings and never went in service. Then through a series of events too long to go into, I became "strong" again, reappointed MS, given all kinds of tasks and was once again a pillar of the congregation.

Then little things started to not add up and the more I dwelled on it, the more doubts I had. I slipped back into being irregular in the service, started missing meetings and by the time I figured out the whole thing was a sham, I was completely inactive.

• Free
    Free

Oldseeker,

Agnostic thinking is what will set you free, after all, no one really knows isn't that true ?

I was a horrible witness, and so proud of it.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Yes - but I've always had a rebellious streak.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit