1914- What's the big deal if it's the wrong date?

by cognac 47 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

Besides the belief that the world was going to end in a climactic way and the promise they made members that they would never die and receive eternal life , those are clearly false promises , allot of people would say they are guilty of false prophesy but that does not mean that somebody else couldn't stand up and take the helm to make accurate prophesy eventually .I think they've just lost allot of credibility and since it is a works based religion people are holding them more accountable .

• ronin1
    ronin1

The big deal is because the entire premise on the doctrine of Christ taking power and his presence has been based on the year 1914, etc.

Ronin1

• Mary
    Mary
    Terry said: The bedrock of Witness claims to divine direction (keep that word uppermost in your mind: DIRECTION) is the 1914 "invisible" return of Jesus followed by Jesus "choosing" his servants in 1918 (Rutherford). IF Jesus did NOT return in 1914, he did not choose Rutheford or the Watchtower Society. This means they are just another misguided group of self-deluded liars!

Bingo. Had they not been stupid enough to claim that they were "chosen" to be the F&DS in 1918, they could easily have gotten rid of 1914 years ago. After all, it was an "invisible" return by Jesus; since no one can see something invisible, they could have just plucked another date out of thin air and called it "truth".

Didn't Ray Franz describe a somewhat nasty scenario with Uncle Freddie in CoC when they discovered that Jerusalem was not destroyed in 607 BCE? It wasn't so much because of Jesus' (supposed) Return, but because it would call into question their authority over the R&F-----something that the power-crazed Freddie was unwilling to do.

• lesterd
    lesterd

WORDS, WORDS, WORDS!!! What differents does it make??? Are you resting under your own vine and fig tree? Things HAD to happen when Christ takes power...and they haven't. Period....end of lie.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233
    Don't you know anyhting about this silly bloody religion?

Yeah, you'd think that someone who was raised as a Witness, is a regular pioneer, and is married to someone who is striving to be a MS would know the answer to this question. Kind of makes you wonder why cognac has started at least 6 topics where she is looking for people and digging for information, eh?

• cognac
    cognac
    Kind of makes you wonder why cognac has started at least 6 topics where she is looking for people and digging for information, eh?

Clearly, you are trying to make some sort of point. So, why don't you stop beating around the bush and just say what you are trying to say???

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I'm just curious why someone who, to quote her best friend "Hypnotic," "was always Mrs. Perfect in the truth. Always sat up front at the hall, always in service, always studing... Just the perfect JW..." wouldn't know why it would be a big deal if 1914 was the wrong date for JWs. I didn't sit in the front, was rarely in service, never studied, and was FAR from the perfect JW, and I know that their entire belief system depends on that date. Then, looking through your topic history your very 2nd thread is asking someone if they went to a certain hall. It's just a red flag, OK.

As I don't know you, have only commented on a handful of your threads, and don't read this board much anymore, it doesn't matter to me either way.

• TD
    TD
    Yeah, you'd think that someone who was raised as a Witness....

I don't know. My wife is extremely intelligent; has a degree in accounting and supervises an entire department We were going to an assembly together years ago and there was a man standing outside the parking lot with a sign that said: "Fact! Jerusalem fell in 587, not 607. Don't believe me? Look it up!"

Later we were talking and she said, "I don't understand why anybody would care what year Jerusalem fell.. What difference would it make?" --An amazing amount of otherwise intelligent JW's don't know the mechanics of why they believe what they believe and don't care to know. So I wonder if prior years spent as a Witness should necessarily be cause for suspicion.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

retracted

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

TD, I completely agree w/ you concerning the fall of Jerusalem. In fact, I didn't know the significance of 587/607, as it relates to 1914, until I joined JWD. However, I did know what 1914 meant and how it relates to JWs being the true religion. Maybe I am skeptical, but hell, the last time I wasn't a "cancer patient" took me for a fool and got money from me for a trip that wasn't even taken.

All I did was ask a question. I am not accusing anyone of anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit