1914- What's the big deal if it's the wrong date?

by cognac 47 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

As all the others have said, it's a pretty clean cut case.

The 1914 date is tied directly to their all important centrist narrative, namely that now is a time of mankind's history that is more important than ever and it directly correlates to the Watchtower divine appointment as the true religion.

Without the narrative they attach to 1914 (and 1914 for that matter) out time in history is no more important than anybody else's. The excitement and importance is gone, there would be no real reason to be a Jehovah's Witness other than agreeing with some theology. Everything they teach about how important it is to be connected to their organization is out the window.

• still_in74
    still_in74

if 1914 is wrong then everything they know about what led them to the year 1914 is wrong too.

Everything that depends on 1914 is also wrong. have you read Revelation Grand Climax??? The entire WTS Eschatology is based on 1914.

Granted the WTS is lessening its weight by changing the generation and c1931-1935 teachings, but it is still huge!

1914 is the BIG ONE for JW's. Its what they always go back to. 1914! 1914! 1914! ......... "we knew it 40 years in advance!" Of all the failures we've had this is one prophecy that almost looks like we can spin it enough to look like Russel was right!"

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Don't you know anyhting about this silly bloody religion? The entire belief system rotates around the year 1914. First of all Charles Taze Russel 'Proved' it by pyramidoligy, then Rutherford went on to use the prophecy in Daniel to support it. If 1914 is false then the society have a whole lot of expaining to do.

I reckon if this happened it would be another 1975 situation, except it would be worse.

Wayheyyyyy! let it happen.....

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

Hi Hamsterbait,

You asked where the "Proclaimers" book says that "Christ did not return to the vicinity of the earth (even invisibly) in 1914."

Their statement is in paragraph 1 on page 137 of the "Proclaimers of God's Kingdom book. It reads this way...

[The Bible Students] came to understand that it was in the year 1914 that Christ's invisible presence had begun and that this was, not by his personality returning (even invisibly) to the vicinity of the earth, but by his directing his attention toward the earth as ruling King."

I don't know how I missed including that page reference in my book. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll fix it.

Don Cameron
    www.CaptivesOfaConcept.com

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Great logic Terry.

Not to belabor the point, but 1914 is absolutely tied to everything that holds JW's together. It is a really big deal. It would be tantamount to the Catholics admitting that the Pope isn't a succesor to Peter. There would be no Church! Ditto with JW's: No 1914, no JW's.

• startingover
    startingover

Or the Mormons without the gold plates.

• flipper
    flipper

COGNAC- The thing about the Jehovah's Witnesses interpretation of 1914 as others have said - it is tantamount to other beliefs they hold as well. You yank 1914 out from underneath them , then many other prophecies and Biblical projections come tumbling down as well like dominoes ! Showing that it's all a scam

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The fact that there are over 6 million JW's today has everything to do with 1914 and how over the decades they tied this year to the "generation" that heysoos supposedly spoke of, in order to convince people that the time for the invisible sky papa to kill everybody is imminent. You wouldn't have 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th generation J-dubs today without it.

• Quentin
  • Quentin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit