JW nostalgia?

by R.Crusoe 24 Replies latest jw friends

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Lots of 'worldly humans look back with affection and positive emotion at their past life and loves and adventures!

This is especially true for periods in life humans have often devoted themselves to!

It is lovely to see and hear ones with natural experiences and happiness to relate!

Are there any EX JWs here who can do so about life as a JW?

What are your memories of life as a JW?

Let's all look back!!

Is there such a thing as JW nostalgia?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

let's see, hmmm, my JW nostalgia is memories of getting beaten in the kingdom hall restroom as a kid.

• loosie
    loosie

I like going out with the group country line dancing on Sundays.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I wish we had line dancing back then, that would have been fun. Line dancing hit its peak when I was working to leave the JW's

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

It is not enjoyable to relive:

JW stepfather's nastiness, elders counsel that was ignored by him, and later

the beatings, threats, my crazy husband at the time, driving into oncoming traffic, the meetings with doctors and judges and the resulting men in the white coats taking him away, the elders telling me that if only I could be a better wife, my mom begging me to ask the elders to let me repent of my "sins"..no nostalgia here I'm afraid.

My brother and I both suffered some sort of abuse either from stepfather or spouse the whole time we were jw's with the elders ignored it all the while. It was horrifying.

• jambon1
    jambon1

There were happy times as a JW. Yet, as I look back at what I could have been enjoying when I declined all non-JW contact, it makes me angry. Angry that I put up with so much shit in the cong & at the same time lost out on some cherished family memories. Also, My JW experience screwed my brain for a while. The good times are unfortunately overshadowed by that.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

I've gotta agree that any of the good times are far overshadowed by the waste of time and energy that whole experience proved to be.

Not to mention, the damaged family relationships because of the Dub stance on worldly holidays.

Or, the waste of years not having gone to college and developing the full intellectual potential.

Are you kidding? Nostalgia for what? Being controlled, extorted, enslaved to a lie, and abused...I don't think so!!!

With all due respect, if you do have some nostalgic feelings, I am glad for you. But, not here!!!

Sorry for the vent.

Cheers...and I really mean that,

Alex

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

My Vietnam ear necklace would be a truly nostalgic peice if the ears of the gb were displayed on it.

• HSS1971
    HSS1971

I won't lie. I do kinda miss just the Sunday routine. Go to meeting, then out to lunch after with a group, then home for a couple hours, then to a gathering sunday evening.

I miss the smell of the hall when you're the first one there on Sunday morning.

I miss seeing the sexy sisters wearing their tight skirts and high-heels on Sunday. Sometimes I'd get lucky and get a seat on the end where I could look down the isle and watch a hot sister cross and uncross her legs all meeting. These women wear their best strappy high-heels with painted toe nails, toe rings, and ankle braclets !! Needless to say I was quite distracted during meetings thinking of all the ways I could make these sisters feel good. LOL

• 38 Years
    38 Years

The only good memories of being a Witness were when I was not being a "good witness":

1. Started drinking beer at age 13 with other kids in the congregation. (Hey, the elders were getting drunk, so why shouldn't we?)

2. Dated lots of "brothers" and never got married (it was too much fun to keep dating).

3. Moved out of my parents home when I was 19. The brothers told me I would fall into immorality. I didn't and never missed a meeting or field service just to spite them.

4. Went to college when I was 26 and knew it was driving the elders crazy! They couldn't do anything about it, no matter how much they would "counsel" me.

5. By the time I turned 32, I formally quit the ministry school.

6. A few years later, I stopped going from door to door. I truly enjoyed being "inactive".

7. I spent many years fading and finally quit when I was 45.

It wasn't always easy to go through. I've been through the anger, tears, guilt, feeling rejected by God, etc. I stayed with the organization longer than I wanted to. But I'll never forget the day I actually jumped up and down with happiness that I quit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit