Religion - adventure or betrayal?

by R.Crusoe 14 Replies latest jw friends

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Religions do a lot of positive things in helping a lot of people!

Mainly this is due to ones who believe being very sincerely devoted and hard working individuals!

Has your experience of religion been mainly a feeling of adventure or betrayal and why?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have learned to view religion as sort of a kindergarden on the road of life and growth. For a couple of years out of my 31 years working for the Wac Tower Society, I was sincere and devoted. I see I was also deluded and missguided.

For about 2 out of 31 years my life had meaning and purpose, Then I looked behind the curtain and saw the Wizard.

Then it turned to betrayal and picking up the pieces.

It's pretty difficult to replicate good, great, experiences.

If you go some place and have a great vacation, when you go back the next time, it sort of pales.

My experience with the witnesses is one of betrayal.

Because they influenced and pressured me not to get an education. My family had plenty of money to give me an education, it was squandered because of my age in relation to 1975.

That taints and poisons any pleasant thoughts I have regarding my time working for the Wac tower bibel and tract publishing society.

• real one
    real one

religion is betrayl, it is better to form a personal relationship with God and be led by Holy Spirit than to follow some man made rules

• Grammy
    Grammy

My experience with the witnesses is one of sadness and betrayal. However, being the recipient of the kindness of various religious organizations following hurricane Katrina in the form of food, health care and volunteers repairing my 96 year old father-in-laws house I know there are some wonderful people in those religious organizations...however the Jehovah's Witnesses religion of which I was a member for 26 plus years was not among them! Sandi

• real one
    real one

grammy you are so right. do they help people at all, or just themselves. how selfish. churches are always helping people. jw dont do charity work.i have always wanted to do charity work but i know if i was with them that dream would be deferred

• megaflower
    megaflower

At the present time I see it as betrayal because I am bitter. I am only months from the clutches of the WT cult

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Just a fairytale. Betrayal? No. Why? I just wasnt in on the joke. Now I am and its all good.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

What if the potential for betrayal was an essential part of the adventure?

• caliber
    caliber

Well the short answer is yes, religion has been a betrayal in many area's of my life. But at a certain point you simply

have to try and get past things. Dwelling on negative experience at least for me personally brings me down. It is counter

productive, call it denial if you so chose, but I call it moving on. I find Ray Franz to me is a good example of where I want to be.

C.O.C. pg 274 "We have been followers of followers." Another said, "We have been victims of victims." I think both statements are

true. Charles Taze Russell folowed the views of certain men of his time, was victimized by some of the myths they propagated as

'revealed truth." Each successive part of the organizational leadership has followed along, at times contributing additional myth

in support of, or in elaboration of, the original myth. In place of rancor, I feel only compassion for those men I know, for I too

was such a "victim of victims," a "follower of followers."

So Ray see's the facts but never lets bitterness swallow him up. Even on a recent Utube Ray in Bulgaria, Ray always turns the

conversation from one of condemnation and bitterness to logic and understanding of the people he worked with at Bethal. It is good to

gain true knowledge of the organization, not as they appear but how they really are (intent and purpose). But finally when we have

sorted it out we must at this point apply wisdom for the sake of our sanity and inner peace. Its all about your spirit, always protect

your inner spirit. In order to accomplish this I find the following poem to be truly uplifting and inspiring.

Desiderata

-- written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s --
    Not "Found in Old St. Paul's Church"! -- see below

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
    they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain or bitter,
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
    for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals,
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.
    Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love,
    for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.
    You are a child of the universe
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be.
    And whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life,
    keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

It is a very personal question I ask!

It is about your 'feeling' as a living soul down the years!

Did religion make you 'feel' life as an adventure?

Or did it preoccupy you inside your own head with reluctance and confusion between what it wanted you to be and what you feel you are as a person? -A sorta living betrayal of your humanism!

It's along those lines I am pondering and not so much the negative or positive but the absolute reality of it in which positive OR negative is the LIVING TRUTH of your life!

...and yes I agree with those who say the recipe of our personal link to any divinity is only possible through each of us and not some prepacked meal!

Thanks for your comments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit