What is the WTs latest stand on education/college?

by cyber-sista 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

"The last WT mag I studied on this subject was about 3years ago. It stated that you are more likely to commit some serious sin like fornication if you attend college or Uni."

The list of colleges where this is most likely to happen is in huge demand.

• 38 Years
    38 Years

Basically, they have never changed their minds regarding the "pitfalls" of getting a higher education. From what I remember, during the 60's - 80's, any type of education after high school was condemned and you could count on getting a hassle from the elders. I went to college anyway, because they couldn't disfellowship me for it and I could not bear the thought of working at Burger King or similar jobs the rest of my life. Then I noticed in my congregation, after high school, it became "acceptable" to get at least some type of job training or even get an associates degree that involved job training at a community college. I'm not sure if this is still the case in all congregations. But from what I've read here from the talks and assemblies, they still harp on how dangerous it is for "true Christians". Personally, I think they can afford to discourage college because they baptize new ones who have already been through college and the congregations take advantage of their skills.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Get this!!!

My ex was in fanciful association with an elder!!! How long this heart bond was going on whilst for 16 years I was treated as bird food and made to feel it in bed God knows? But I am glad to be free and I hope she is? WTS have a way of trapping everyone in turmoil and inner conflicts!!

He has been a college lecturer for decades!!!

I wish every happiness to her in her new life - truly - because our everything personal was shit! I would want her to have far better!

But him being a lecturer and an elder and JWs being against what he is teaching is so unbelievable!

Go figure that!!

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

Barbara,

I believe the worm first turned in November 1988, in a wt article, not in '92. I know because I was in Brooklyn at the time. Supposedly Lloyd Barry was trying to liberalize the stand the society was taking on Higher Ed and the sentiment was in his favor. However, after his untimely death, the Ted Jaracz stranglehold began and things reverted back to the old ways--anyone pursuing a college education need not apply for opportunities for advancement in he congregation. In other words, you were black balled like back in the old times....

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Hey cyber-sista, nice pic :)

I believe someone posted a link to a district convention talk from the last year or so somewhere on this forum.

One of the talks was about secular education and was extremely imbalanced sounding and was very strongly biased against it.

Out of one side of their mouths they call it a conscience matter (so noone can sue them)

and out of the other side of their mouths (the side that will mark you politically in the hall, etc) they ranted and raved on and on and on

frothing at the mouth about all the bad influences of colleges and the like.

I haven't been able to find it yet, but if I do, I will post the link for ya.

SPAZ

• notyetx
    notyetx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctU6ZjasUpA

SPAZ:

This might be the video you were looking for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit