What is the WTs latest stand on education/college?

by cyber-sista 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

My JW niece quit college a short time ago and didn't finish her degree, which she seems very excited about and took on a menial job, which she doesn't too happy about, according to my father. My father (not a JW) is wondering what happened and if it is possibly something "the church" is now promoting.

When my daughter went to a 2 year college I had some negative comments from those in the congo. But I know lots of other JWs who went to college in the late 90s and it was supposed to be a "personal" decision, but not one you would promote to others. Even those who did go to college were made to feel guilty about it. I know there has been a lot of wafffling on this issue, but has there been some "new light" on the subject in recent years? I have been out of it for about 5 years now. One of the reasons I left was because I saw the pressure that was put on the "youth"in the congo. My daughter was a teenager at the time. The kids were being constantly harrassed and put down by the Organization. Some went off the deep end. I can't imagine it's getting any better. So, what's the latest WT stand on education?

• sir82
    sir82

Since about 2004 or so, they've been coming down very hard on it, perhaps as strong or stronger than in the 70's / 80's.

It gets hit at every assembly & convention, and about 3 or 4 times per year in the Watchtower and/or KM.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

In the latest magazines and the infamous new Losch (GB member) talks at DCs, witness kids are heavily discouraged from going to college, and ones that are in are even encouraged to drop out. Their anti-higher education stance is as strong as it's ever been. They routinely pull out the "sinking ship" allegory, asking kids why they would want to invest their "precious youth" in this sytem when they could pioneer instead. Complete bull&%^$.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Before I left late in 2004, I thought the society was easing up on higher education. Does anyone have a more recent scan of a Watchtower that shows they have once again reverted back to bashing higher education?

If so, I would appreciate it if you could post it. Thanks, Lilly

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I don't personally see much of a change from the 60's or 70's from when I was a jw , they have always frowned on and tried to discouraged people from

going to collage and university, the end is so near why bother crap that they have been marketing and selling for decades.

Time would be better spent selling are literature in a effort to save peoples lives.

Collage and universities are foundations of godlessness and are places of immoral activity as they used to say.

What is being said up on the podium today is just a slightly different spin from those statements which were said some 40 , 50 or 60 years ago.

• notyetx
    notyetx

I am attaching a link that the Pew Foundation did on American religions. http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

Among the findings are:

-That the JWs are among the least educated groups among American religions. Nearly 1/3 have less than a high school diploma and only 9% have a college degree or more.

-That JWs are among the poorest groups of all American religions, which is a strong correlation with the low education stats.

-That JWs have the lowest retention rates among all American religions, meaning that only 37% of people born as JWs continue to be JWs as adults.

I think that the WTBTS is aware of all of this. They have to drive out the bright people in order to maintain control of the old, the weak and the less able.

I also think that the retention rate is a sign that young people are beginning to resist the heavy handed declarations from the WTBTS. This worries them since the entire notion of "organization" requires blind and unquestioning obedience. People with brains engage in "independent thinking" and that is a great danger to the WTBTS. Totalitarianism (religious or otherwise) outlaws thoughts as well as actions. You can only learn what you are allowed to learn. You cannot question the guidance of the dear leaders unless you are willing to face the threat of social "death" through shunnng.

Tell your relative to head back to school and take the hits from the JWs. When she is done with her education, the JWs will suddenly befriend her because she will have the kind of expertise they need. She will be better paid, better educated and more satisfied with her life.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

If no one in the Org gets an education, how will they find skilled workers (lawyers, accountants, architects, etc) to keep the organization afloat? What about the lack of contributions from their low wage members? Seems like the WT shooting themselves in the foot with this teaching.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

What is the WTs latest stand on education/college? BAD, BAD, BAD

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The weak and uneducated are far more pliable to their want and needs

Education and knowledge is seen as an opposing threat to there establishment and probably to their very existence.

• notyetx
    notyetx

What is interesting is that the WTBTS has paid for several Bethelites to go to college. The WTBTS has paid for several lawyers in Canada (Shane Brady, Glen Howe) to go to law school according to a Canadian secular weekly magazine. There are internet rumors that a child of a Governing Body member has gone to Columbia law school. There are alot of confirmed stories that the WTBTS has paid for Bethelites to get degrees in all sorts of fields.

Think about it: They discourage higher education among the rank and file, but they use the donations of the rank and file to pay for college for the upper echelon of the WTBTS. I am not sure what to call this practice but I would not call it consistent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit