Your comments on this Memorial Bible reference (1 Cor. 11:26)

by OnTheWayOut 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    (1 Corinthians 11:26) For as often as YOU eat this loaf and drink this cup, YOU keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he arrives.

Here's mine.

I was told that I have an earthly hope. I won't eat from the loaf or drink from the cup, so I won't
    be needing to attend. If you want me to attend, then I think I should do as the scripture suggests
    and eat and drink.

Also, the Lord arrived already, so the Memorial should be cancelled.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

The dubs should have a big spaghetti feed on the memorial and feed the homeless..dressing up to pass wine and crackers to no one is stupid...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The scripture you quote - taken by itself - says nothing about earthly, or heavenly hope. It is stated that by so doing [eating and drinking the Lord's meal], you would be proclaiming his death.

The inverse would seem to be true also - If one does not eat and drink, one would be denying his death, wouldn't he? Seems like the dubs are actually performing a sacrilege in passing a cup and bread that is not consumed as Jesus commanded.

Jeff

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

OnTheWayOut,

You should eat and drink as our Lord commanded. Because if you do not another scripture will get in your way which says: Mt 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Where does that put you? Thrown out and on the outside with the rest of the Nations when our Lord comes to inspect his disciples. Now how did all this come about? Simple! The WTS simply does not understand scripture. For all the tons of pulp they produce, very little of it turns out to be truthful. They corrupt what happened in the Corinthian congregation where some abused this observance. His intended discipline and attention to their disgraceful actions was an attempt to correct them but they made it into a false doctrine to dominate and control you. In this they simply do not understand the complexity of Paul's writings and misapply what he meant. Then they teach that some already have been raised to immortal life as non-humans. In doing this they run up against another scripture which teaches: 2Ti 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. Thus they teach a lie that excludes disciples that only Christ has authority over. And their heavenly hope is simply another error of terminology that stands for a hope authorized by God. It was a Jewish way to say this since other texts say God’s kingdom instead. So we are not describing a far away place where some may exist as non-humans but a totally human and earthly government that will exist right here on earth. This government will be human as only humanity was redeemed from sin and it can be traced to the line of David that will some day be established here once again. And this government does not exist yet as they teach. It will not become operative until our Lord does return once again as the human being that left after His resurrection and He will run it in that capacity. We simply function as Christ in His place for now to care for His interests. Our place in it will some day be as immortal and justified human beings. The Nations will also be restored to immortal life in this kingdom and taught by us in our new capacity as priests and teachers. It will be at this time that they also will have the opportunity be become justified, a designation which we already enjoy: ... And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Joseph

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    the Lord arrived already, so the Memorial should be cancelled

I second the motion!

He's no longer a babe in a manger he's a glorious king, and at easter/memorial he's no longer an earthly creature nailed to the the cross/stake but a glorious spiritual king so to be

consistent we have to view in in present tense not past tense. Birth/death/return

hope4others

• Spook
    Spook

The historical precedent that followed this ceremony as I have found in trying to understand it was that Christians would gather in private homes weekly for the "Lord's Supper." It was a private meal and discussion of bible issues. This minor passage has been expanded ad nauseum by Christians who, as always, are making mountains out of exegetical mole hills. This was further confounded by attempts to keep and intertwine Jewish passover traditions with the early Christians. It's a non-consencible theological point.

• startingover
    startingover

Since the JW's are the only people on earth who believes Jesus has already returned, they unlike all the other groups still awaiting his return, need to abide by what the scripture says and stop this memorial.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

These distinctions between Annointed and Great Crowd are just silly.

And to observe the memorial today is to deny his presence.

In other words, I have nothing to add...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't see any point in wasting the evening to go to a crowded Kingdumb Hell, listen to a boring 45 minute talk, passing a plate of crackers and a glass of spoiled grape juice, being hounded for another 5 minutes, and then facing Brother Hounder on the way out. Especially if you aren't even going to take any of the items being passed.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The winner of "What I will say" is AK-Jeff.

"If by eating and drinking of the Lord's evening meal, I am proclaiming his death, then my
    going and denying the emblems would be denying the application of the Lord's death.
    I cannot go and be an observer for that reason. I am either a participant in the meal or
    I am not present at the (improper) gathering."

(It seems futile to try to convince most dubs that the Lord returned and therefore the
    Memorial should be no longer observed. They will just fall back on the Lord arriving in
    different manors.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit