Dubs and doorbells -- has there been some "new light"?

by parakeet 32 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

This afternoon my husband looked out the window and saw two unmistakable dubs shuffling up our street. He didn't have time to warn me before they came to our door (he knows I get a bit testy whenever they visit). I was in a nearby room, but heard nothing, saw nothing.

Here's the thing -- we have a very nice doorbell. It rings loudly. It even has a little light bulb in it to make it easier for visitors to see. But did the dubs use the doorbell? No, they ........ knocked. At least we think they knocked. They must have knocked with a Q-tip because even my husband, who knew they were there, couldn't hear them. After a minute or two, he saw them slowly shuffling away. There was no WT or other litter left in our door, so I assume they wanted to do their dub-spiel in person. I have to admit I'm baffled by their behavior.

Maybe there's been some "new light" about doorbells. Maybe doorbells can harbor demons now. Or maybe the only light in their whole crazy dub world is the one in my doorbell.

• Quotes
    Quotes

According to other posts here at JWD a few years ago, many admitted to "pretending to knock" or "knocking as softly as possible" when out proselytizing. (I was shocked to hear about it, but many admitted to it.)

Maybe you got a couple of timid pretend door knockers? Just a guess.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

C'mon! Do you not know any service tricks? How long were you in?

My wife and I were walking in our neighborhood earlier in the week enjoying the beautiful weather. We came to a new neighbor's house and decided to walk up and see if we could welcome them. About the same time as we crossed thier driveway entrance we both looked at each other and said, "you want this door?" It was a long walk to the front door so we discussed old strategy of doing house-over-house vs. "work until you talk to someone".

The final trick of course is to knock as lightly as possible and NEVER ring the bell. God forbid someone actually come down.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    No, they ........ knocked. At least we think they knocked. They must have knocked with a Q-tip because even my husband, who knew they were there, couldn't hear them. After a minute or two, he saw them slowly shuffling away.

Maybe they just weren't trying to talk to you. Fake knocking rules.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Not Feeling It wrote: "C'mon! Do you not know any service tricks? How long were you in?"

Ah, if I'd only known about these little tricks when I was a young and stupid dub!

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Sounds like they were engaged in the same old FS technique to me ......

• StAnn
    StAnn

Honestly, in 25 years of door knocking, it never occurred to me NOT to knock or ring the bell. Maybe these guys are trying fade while appearing to go in service?

• oompa
    oompa

Geeze you rookies...............the trick is to talk loudly....like I do...and pretend to ring the bell while talking....they will not come to the door....and your sidekick will never suspect you did not ring the bell....seeeeee...I am going to hell...............oopmpa

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

A friend taught me how to fake ring doorbells. It's alot quieter than soft-knocking.

-Aude.

• Casper
    Casper
    They must have knocked with a Q-tip because even my husband, who knew they were there, couldn't hear them.

Parakeet,

That line just cracked me up... loved it..

Yeah, I am guilty of the "Fake" knock, now and then when I went door to door.

Went with some that would practically beat the door down, and one pioneer Sister, carried a golf ball to rap on the doors with...talk about dedicated.

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit