JW's and antidepressants

by karter 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• karter
    karter

My jw wife was telling me how much better a sister was now shes on prozac it turns out half the congo is on it . it appears Jehovah's happy people are not so happy after all.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Sadly, unlike the rest of the community, it's a subject that is still taboo.

To admit that "true christians" are not travelling so well emotionally and spiritually, is to admit that jw life is not any better than any other.

• Casper
    Casper

It was the same in my old congregation 10 years ago. Most depressed bunch of people I ever met.

A few were on so many different meds... they weren't even the same person anymore....like zombies.

Cas

• megaflower
    megaflower

My old hall they all walk around with shit eating grins. I think a tractor trailor backed in a gave them a full load (in more ways than one).

• Honesty
    Honesty

Who wouldn't be depressed if they had to accept conflicting doctrines as food from God.

Cognitive Dissonance runs rampant among the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Meds aren't the cure.

The cure is escaping from the kingdom hall.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Same in our area. It's mostly elder's wives who are it.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My JW mom needs antidepressants sooooo bad! She cries at the drop of a pin. Her nerves are bad noww, "cause her kids won't be with her in paradise!"

Thank goodness!! I cringe at the idea!!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

when I was in it was a taboo subject. Although I thought most of the dubs should have been on them.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Ditto here. It has always been my experience that about 70% of the congregations I have been in have been depressed, manic depressive or schizo-effective in some way. There have been studies that found that JW's have an unusual high rate of mental illness. As someone else already pointed out, it is the stress of being a Witness and denying your true self that does it. Also, many find after YEARS of being in the "true" religion they feel no closer to God then they did as a person in the world. They also find they are no more happy than anyone else regardless of the lies the WT spews at conventions.

"Aren't we the happiest people on earth?" - followed by fake round of applause......I know after 10 years of this, I was starting to "crack" myself.

Peace, Lilly

• oompa
    oompa

Until recently, I had my own wing at my CVS....and they knew it as I would mention it when I called one in..................oompa...they always laugh about it....and they are all all soooooo hot.............oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit