JW's and antidepressants

by karter 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

I never knew of any people on meds in my congo, but that was 10 years ago. I take antidepressants, and my JW mom just about had a fit over that. She says that pills are bad for you and that if I came back to the "truth" I wouldn't need antidepressants. "All you need is Jehovah" is her motto.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    She says that pills are bad for you and that if I came back to the "truth" I wouldn't need antidepressants. "All you need is Jehovah" is her motto.

the WTS says the same thing. "Satans system is so hard to deal with and many are depressed over it."
    The cure? More service, more study, more meetings. More more more. Wait a minute, arent I already depressed because I feel like I am not doing enough? The answer? To tell me to do more?????
    Ah the circular reasoning............. its everywhere!!!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Still in 74,

I used to get angry when they would say "...satan's system is so hard, etc...."

What they DIDN'T say was how they would make your life so difficult that it would be harder to live in satan's system. Just looking at their stand against higher education and secular employment is enough to see that they would render somebody unfit to even survive in the world. Then add to that the cognitive dissonance that thinking people have when they juggle two or more incompatible beliefs inside their head. I am not even referring to people who come into the religion with 'problems'. I am talking about regular well-adjusted people who are bending their brains into a pretzel to accommodate ludicrous teachings, commands or suggestions.

Of course this is a recipe for emotional imbalance.

LHG

• shamus100
    shamus100

This is an interesting topic -

I went on AD's to treat my depression. It didn't work - I still left the 'truth' (snicker). It took me years to get off that crap - well, crap for me. I'll spare you the details, but it was the second best thing that ever happened to me.

Sometimes, people get depressed because they're lives need to be changed. It's a normal reaction to negative stimulus. It's a sign to change. When a typical dub cannot change what's wrong with they're lives, they go on AD's, one of the most over prescribed drugs on the planet. And it does make them into zombies - at least it did to me.

About one year ago I got in contact with just about all of my old dub friends just to see what's what with them. 7 out of 8 of them were on AD's. That's from 0 out of 8. Pathetic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit