Memorial conundrum - "So good to see you. Where have you been?"

by Meeting Junkie No More 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Ok - Here's the scoop on what actually happened when we attended Saturday night:

First off, I had the worst feeling all day - kind of like when you're 6 and tommorrow's the first day of school - knots in my stomach, kind of nervous, jittery, a weird kind of dread....

Anyhow, went through the whole 'dress up' ritual, actually arrived a little too early and sat in the car in the parking lot, waiting....

Walked in, got all kinds of 'raised eyebrows - Oh, look, they MADE IT!' kind of looks, but so many outstretched hands, hugs, 'Great to see you's!' - NOT ONE 'Where have you been?' - IT WAS TRULY REFRESHING! They still remember us, they still 'love us', not one person made mention of how many meetings we have missed....must be a new 'tactic!'

Anyhow, the talk was dry and dead, as usual. Same old songs, nothing new. All the 'wine and bread plate passers' (brothers)' in the front row were laughing, joshing, really looked like the old boys' club that it is. All said and done - 45 minutes TOTAL. So much for the high holiest day of the year. For all the talk of 'appreciation' and 'loving provision' blah, blah, it was surprising how quickly everyone's conversation lapsed into the mundane, everyday worldly stuff as soon as it was over...

Some dear old soul half jokingly(?) called out "Don't forget to come back!" as we exited the meeting. HA HA!!!

So, went to a fellow faders' home afterward, enjoyed some good ole' association etc., then went to our own home to enjoy a beautiful little home-made basket of goodies - a harbinger of the beautiful rebirth of life called SPRING soon to come! They are just symbols to me now of what Jesus' resurrection MEANS and a way to CELEBRATE the greatness of his sacrifice and love for mankind...I no longer see chocolates or eggs as 'evil' or 'pagan' - they're just SYMBOLS and I'm not WORSHIPPING them.

Got through it ok! But won't be going back anytime soon. Will start another thread about contents of the 'talk' when I get more time...

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Sorry, and I forgot to say that, looking back, I just felt so sorry for all the attendees and how spiritually impoverished they all are without even being aware of it. Truly a case of the blind leading the blind, just speaking the same old tired 'words' that fall so far short of the 'experience' of God's love. Since I've stopped attending the mind-numbing meetings and opened myself to reading 'other' material about Christianity and history and religion in general, I feel so much more alive spiritually and so much more in tune with the 'One' and the 'All', both spirit and human.

And I just wanted to thank you all for your amazing replies! I didn't need them, in the end, but it was great to be 'forearmed'.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I am amazed at how many adults still go to this, who otherwise, don't attend. Maybe it's me, but I find it surprising...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit