BIG NEWS - UK Gov't to Stop Watchtower Blood Teaching?

by skeeter1 50 Replies latest watchtower medical

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

This below JUST came up on the wire and is higher in rank than the Globe article The Watchtower is going into spin control overtime http://www.religiousintelligence.co.uk/news/?NewsID=1725 New rules could threaten charity status of Jehovah's Witnesses
    Religious Intelligence Ltd, UK - 19 minutes ago
    Several Jehovah’s Witnesses charities in the UK expressed concern that the draft guidance could affect their beliefs on blood transfusion.
    Several Jehovah’s Witnesses charities in the UK expressed concern that the draft guidance could affect their beliefs on blood transfusion.

Their concern regards the commission’s draft guidelines which details how religious charities now have to prove ‘public benefit’ in order to ensure their charitable status.

In the Charity Commission’s Public Benefit and the Advancement of Religion document it states that a charity’s benefit to society will be measured against its detriments.

The 91-page report states: “One possible example of this type of detriment or harm is the refusal to allow medical treatment, or the taking of medicines, on religious grounds.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that the giving or receiving of blood is wrong in any circumstances because of certain texts in the Old and New Testament.

The draft legislation continues: “Whilst exercising personal choice regarding medical treatment might not affect public benefit, public benefit is more likely to be an issue where an organisation advancing religion seeks to actively discourage members of the public in general from seeking medical treatment.”

One member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses said that because their views were based on the Bible, they were “willing to stand by our core conviction”.

Mr John Cunnington, the presiding overseer of the Hayes Congregation of Jehovah’s witnesses in London, said that the draft legislation could “be a concern”.

A spokesman for the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in the UK said: “There is no evidence that our view on blood causes any damage.”

Sarah Whalley, a press officer for the Charity Commission said: “We would need to look on a case-by-case basis at any charity advancing religion that has any practice that might be defined as causing detriment or harm.”

She added: “The withholding of medical treatment on religious grounds on behalf of those who may not be able to make the decision for themselves is a contentious area, and we would need to look at the specific factors in any given situation and whether possible damage to health outweighed the general benefit of people having the freedom to follow their religion and the benefit that the advancement of that religion provides to the public.” [email protected] email newspaper -------------------------

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Charity+Commission%E2%80%99s+Public+Benefit+and+the+Advancement+of+Religion+&btnG=Google+Search

Thank you Danny Hazard!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

We need to all write the UK Charity Commission letters of our personal experience with the Jehovah's Witnesses. Since many of y'all are swamped inside with snow, I know you have plenty of time to start a grass roots campaign.

Getting in Touch with the Charity Commission

There are many ways to get in touch with us. If you want to contact us about a particular charity please give us as much information as you can, including its name and registration number (see the Register of Charities). Many of the most common enquiries we are asked are covered in our knowledgebase or in our publications which are free to download on our website.

Telephone

Telephone Graphic0845 3000 218

Lines are open from 8.00am to 8.00pm weekdays and 9.00am to 1.00pm Saturdays, except national holidays. Our busiest times of the day are between 9:00am - 5:00pm each weekday. If your enquiry is not time critical you may wish to phone us outside of our busy periods. If you want to speak to us in a language other than English, our telephone interpreting service covers over 150 languages. Just tell us which language you wish to speak and within a minute or so an interpreter will be connected to your call. 0845 3000 219 Textphone service for hearing and speech impaired callers. Further information and instructions on the Textphone service are available on our website.

Email

Just follow the link which will take you to our Knowledge Baseand Email service

Charity Commission Direct
    PO Box 1227
    Liverpool
    L69 3UG

Fax

0151 7031 555

• Earnest
    Earnest
    The draft legislation continues: “Whilst exercising personal choice regarding medical treatment might not affect public benefit, public benefit is more likely to be an issue where an organisation advancing religion seeks to actively discourage members of the public in general from seeking medical treatment.”

Sorry, but I think this is irrelevant as it only applies to Jehovah's Witnesses themselves.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

The 91-page report states: “One possible example of this type of detriment or harm is the refusal to allow medical treatment, or the taking of medicines, on religious grounds.”

I don't know, I think that pretty clearly applies. I mean, where else would it apply to if not the Witnesses? The whole point of the field circus is to convert people to their opinion on matters, including blood, right?

Anyways, thanks for the heads - up.

• Mary
    Mary

Excellent! I'd love to see them lose their 'charity' status here in Canada, since in actuality, they do nothing of the kind.

Thanks for the article----that was good to know.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Sorry, but I think this is irrelevant as it only applies to Jehovah's Witnesses themselves.

Earnest, the statement you commented on could possibly be irrelevant. The only way this could be successfully argued is to prove that showing those anti-blood transfusion articles to householders counts as "discouraging members of the public in general" to refuse transfusions. After all, if they wanted to keep it out of the public knowledge, the WT can simply elect to not print their wacky anti-transfusion articles. But they don't, and they want to scare normal people into refusing blood. It all depends on how well the point can be argued. If they were smart, the WT would get a convert and then say, "Oh by the way, if you need a transfusion, you can't get one." That would be the only way to get them off the hook.

Sarah Whalley, a press officer for the Charity Commission said: “We would need to look on a case-by-case basis at any charity advancing religion that has any practice that might be defined as causing detriment or harm.”

Her open-ended statment would be the key to winning this battle. We've got mounds of stories to show how many poor kids died from not receiving a transfusion. Plus--and this would be tougher to argue--how about the allowing of PEDOPHILES to go canvassing the neighborhood?? "Detrimental" is just the right word to describe that policy!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

BTTT because this is important

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

This thread will get more reads if it's edited to make it not so wide. Taking out the line of *'s and shorten the URL would do it, I think.

Dave

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Good call AA, when I open threads like this one that cause a horizontal scroll bar to appear in my browser, I usually just go onto something else.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

This is Dansk's thread detailing what some of us have been up to over the last few months:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/143526/1.ashx

Time to step it up maybe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit