educated elder or uneducated elder which was the best ?

by looloo 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• StAnn
    StAnn

Well, now, Billy, you're the exception, of course!

I think I probably had my ex-husband in mind when I spewed that post~my wife-beating, child-beating ex-husband who is married to a pioneer who is so overly zealous that even the JWs think she's a bit over the top....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The ones I found better were those who did not follow the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger. Those that did wanted nothing more for me than to join the Value Destroyer Training School, and then fix the whole congregation worldwide using the methods that got them into trouble in the first place, at the expense of keeping me celibate. As for them, I can only hope the tower's demise causes them disarray and every imaginable upheaval for wanting to destroy my sex life.

The ones that refused to go along with that little game are either apostates or on their way toward apostasy. I hope they help me to ruin the Watchtower Society and destroy that Value Destroyer Training School.

• Superslave
    Superslave

I think the question should be--are they faithful to the FDS or God?

The ones that don't give a damn about the WT are the ones that were nice.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I'm planning to be an ex-elder ex-JW someday StAnn, does that count? I'm an ex-Bethelite, doesn't that count for something?

Are you still an elder Billy?! The holy spirit must be having a short circuit.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

I guess I was in the "educated" elder class. (I have a college degree.) However, I was not educated in the right way. I didn't know anything about how to help people in the congregation with their problems.

I remember wishing that the society would give full-blown seminars on how to help people instead of "elder schools" that emphasized Field Service! -Meeting Attendance!-Do More! Do More!

To answer your question, I don't think it really matters so much a person's level of education, but what is in the individual's heart. Let's face it, whether you love 'em or hate 'em, the job of elder in taking care of the people in the congregation is an awesome responsibility, not even counting the crap the Watchtower Society loads you down with. Most men who are appointed don't have the empathy or compassion to do what it takes-educated or not.

CyrusThePersian

• tak
    tak

We had an elder that was a teacher, he conducted our book study and was also our po. When my son was studying, attending all meetings, etc.... he wanted to be baptised and talked to the elder. The elder said he was not ready because he wore a leather coat, yes he really did say this. A month later my son approaches again and the elder comes back to him a few days later that he talked to the other elders and they all agreed he wasnt ready. This elder subsequently moved to another congregation a few months later and my son approached our new bookstudy conductor who was also the service overseer, turns out this first elder never spoke to any of the other elders, he just decided himself who was ready and who wasnt'.

Shameful.......

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

educated ones with a sense of humour or even uneducated ones with a sense of humour

I still remember the sighs of relief and anticipation when a bro with a sense of fun got up to give a talk - not many of them left

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I was just thinking of the school overseer who told everyone the same thing after they gave a talk: "You done real good on that." Please, teach us more about how to be better speakers, Brother Gramatically Challenged!

• blondie
    blondie

It depends on what their education is in, how good a student they were, and whether they use their education in a positive way. I knew an elder who had a degree in psychology, never practiced in that field for 20 years or kept his education up to date, yet felt he was and others felt he was qualified to make judgments and recommendations for depressed and mentally ill jws.

• undercover
    undercover

I knew of only a few "educated" elders, in that they had college degrees and had a "career" that was based on their education. Of these elders, they were barely elders. They were so busy with family and career, they really didn't go out of their way to do any more than they had to in the congregation. They were usually easy to like and were not vindictive or cruel when it came to dealing with those that got in trouble.

Most of the elders that I knew had high school educations and had either factory jobs, construction jobs or were self-employed in construction, cleaning, etc. Out of this group came both the kind, merciful elders and the self-righteous, sanctimonous elders. There didn't seem to be any coorelation between income, education or status in the "world" and they're being a good elder or not. Some were good, some weren't so good and others were rotten. The ones to watch out for were men who relished the power of being in charge and loved to lord it over people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit