So who here has seen Russels grave? Weird huh?

by oompa 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

oompa asked,

did russell or other dubs use that term "bible in stone?"

Yes, they used the same exact phrase!

• TD
    TD

You can clearly see it from Google Earth, but it's as unsatisfying as arial photographs usually are:

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

I have heard of burials on Boot Hill ,that looks more like Hoot Hill.

On the way to the burial ground Charlie's funeral hearse had to climb a very steep hill when all of a sudden the coffin slid out the back of the transport and off it went all the way back down the hill and through the village straight into a chemist shop .The pharmacist stood there petrified in deathly silence as on it moved . Just then the lid flew off and Charlie sat bolt upright, white as a ghost, still in his toga , slowly turned his head and said," as anyone got anything to stop me coffin."

• eddie c
    eddie c

I visited the Pyramid in 1991 and brought a piece of it back to England

Eddie

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

Inspired by this thread, I was indulging in a little free association web surfing and discovered something I did not know before:

in 1931 the Mormons (LDS) accepted the idea that the pyramid was "the Bible in Stone".

I've never heard this before. Granted, I am learning all kinds of whacky stuff I never knew before about my former mormon religion... If you have any links or references to Mormons accepting the "Bible in Stone" thing, I would appreciate it. What is the bible in stone anyway and why was it made by "heathen" egyptians? I will say that there is strong evidence that the builders of the pyramids had either divine or alien assistance when geographically deciding where to build the pyramids.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Former Mormon said,

I've never heard this before. Granted, I am learning all kinds of whacky stuff I never knew before about my former mormon religion...

If you have any links or references to Mormons accepting the "Bible in Stone" thing, I would appreciate it. What is the bible in stone anyway and why was it made by "heathen" egyptians?

I will say that there is strong evidence that the builders of the pyramids had either divine or alien assistance when geographically deciding where to build the pyramids.

Hi, FM! There are plenty of current and former JWs who cannot articulate concisely what their "beliefs" are. I am not surprised that at least some Mormons are not intimately familiar with all aspects of their "faith." You can see proof of the book - or buy a copy (rare!) - from this site: http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=75799865&aid=frg Elsewhere we can find:
    In 1931, the Deseret News Publishing Company, an official publisher for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints produced a book by Francis M. Darter. In his book, Our Bible in Stone: Its Divine Purpose and Present Day Message, Darter provides numerous pages of biblical/Pyramidology calculations. Near the conclusion of his book, which pictures the Great Pyramid on its cover, Darter speaks of the Second Coming of Christ. He writes, "I have, in one of my works, `The Time of the End,' analyzed the most vital prophecies recorded in the Hebrew Bible. From that record the date of A.D. 1940 was found to represent what appears to be the extreme limit for the Second Coming of Christ. The Great Pyramid has apparently placed this event near the close of 1936. As for myself, I am looking toward this date more than to any other" (p. 144). -- http://www.watchman.org/profile/pyrmdpro.htm

And, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. There is NO evidence that the pyramids were built with either "divine" or "alien" assistance. Today we know a LOT more about the pyramids than anybody knew 70 years ago. Familiarize yourself with current archaeological understandings. The pyramids were build by dudes like you or I, but with deeper tans.

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon
    Hi, FM! There are plenty of current and former JWs who cannot articulate concisely what their "beliefs" are. I am not surprised that at least some Mormons are not intimately familiar with all aspects of their "faith." You can see proof of the book - or buy a copy (rare!) - from this site: http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=75799865&aid=frg Elsewhere we can find:
    In 1931, the Deseret News Publishing Company, an official publisher for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints produced a book by Francis M. Darter. In his book, Our Bible in Stone: Its Divine Purpose and Present Day Message, Darter provides numerous pages of biblical/Pyramidology calculations. Near the conclusion of his book, which pictures the Great Pyramid on its cover, Darter speaks of the Second Coming of Christ . He writes, "I have, in one of my works, `The Time of the End,' analyzed the most vital prophecies recorded in the Hebrew Bible . From that record the date of A.D. 1940 was found to represent what appears to be the extreme limit for the Second Coming of Christ . The Great Pyramid has apparently placed this event near the close of 1936. As for myself, I am looking toward this date more than to any other" (p. 144). -- http://www.watchman.org/profile/pyrmdpro.htm
    And, I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. There is NO evidence that the pyramids were built with either "divine" or "alien" assistance. Today we know a LOT more about the pyramids than anybody knew 70 years ago. Familiarize yourself with current archaeological understandings. The pyramids were build by dudes like you or I, but with deeper tans.

Hi Nathan,

Since I last posted, I verified that Deseret Book had published Darters book. Yes, he makes some fantasticly ridiculous predictions. Just because Deseret Book publishes something does not mean that it was taught to the church. ( it may or may not have--I don't know at this point) That being said, Deseret Book does not print anything that "the brethren" feel would lead people away from the cult and should have some "faith promoting" value. I am trying to find any references to any of "the brethren" of the day buying into the theory.

I have heard that the Giza plateau lies at the point where longitude and latitude lines with the most land mass converge. Egyptians were not seafarers. Sure they built reed boats and dabbled in the Meditteranean, but they were never known to sail the atlantic/pacific, etc. Then there is the whole accurate mapping technology thing. When the America's are taken out of the picture, the intersection of longitude/latitude lines shifts southward several hundred miles. I am wondering how this could be a coincidence. Why build on a barren plateau far from water?

I am in the middle of debunking my cultic religion. I am all in favor of rational debunking. If you have heard of other explanations for this longitude/latitude thing, I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks for the info. Another nail for my LDS coffin.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

FM said,

I have heard that the Giza plateau ... I am wondering how this could be a coincidence. Why build on a barren plateau far from water?

I don't mean to sound like a smart-aleck, but as Buckaroo Banzai said, "No matter where you go, there you are." Everybody is somewhere, and Egyptians are in Egypt, where temperate climes and the fertile Nile delta made a very comfortable location for human civilization.

I don't think the Egyptians had any idea at all of the geographical uniqueness of their place on the map, and that uniqueness is pure coincidence. To re-phrase Buckaroo, "Everything is somewhere."

The plateau was chosen mainly because that is where the rock was. The pyramid was built with stone cut from a nearby quarry. It wasn't "beamed in" from India or Northern Canada. It was local rock, and somehow that fact defied notice until fairly recently. It's more fun to think of Buck Rogers and Erich von Däniken flying around, though.

Deseret News Publishing Company may not be as tightly linked to the LDS Church as the WTB&TS is to Jehovah's Witnesses, but your comment

That being said, Deseret Book does not print anything that "the brethren" feel would lead people away from the cult and should have some "faith promoting" value.

does demonstrate that the DNPC would not publish an "apostate" or "wacky" book just to entertain people.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

A book printed by Deseret Books, whether back in 1931 or in 2008, is the work of its author, and he/she is solely responsible for any attempts at doctrinal credence. Deseret Books prints a variety of books that are wonderful, uplifting, doctrinally factual and others that are, at best, merely opinion pieces. The doctrinal value of any Deseret Books publication depends on the ability and intent of the author.

In other words, don't try to say because Deseret Books published something, it must represent the teachings of the Church. Often, it doesn't.

SusanHere

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    When I saw it in 1980 with my great aunt, there was 13 inches of snow on the ground, newer picture, an fresh Roses in place.

What I would like to leave on his grave wouldn't pass for roses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit