Did Your Mom and Dad Tell You " I Love You " Growing Up - and as an Adult?

by flipper 45 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

My Mom told me she loved me constantly from birth right up until the day before I got df'd. That was 22 years ago.

My Dad didn't say it often, but just the tone of his voice when he called my name told me all I needed to know. After his heart attack two years ago, he tells me more often.

JK, you seem together to me. Like it was said earlier, maybe jaded from life experiences. But aren't we all? Some men are just stoic and don't show emotions. It doesn't mean they don't love you.

• flipper
    flipper

FERRET- Sorry to hear that friend. Peace to you. We send our love. My wife and I.

MRS. JONES- What a nice looking group of children you have ! Congratulations !

SKEETER 1- I'm sorry you didn't have much love or hugs . Here's a big one from my wife and I for you my friend !

DINAH- I'm glad you had parents that tell you they love you. It's so important. I'm sure your dad loves you even more since his heart attack ! I agree with you some men are more stoic and not expressive. I think JK is real together too - we're good friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Every night before bed, there was a perfunctory I love you and peck on the lips from Mom. I think actions speak louder than words. I much preferred smiles from my parents that sparkled and flowed over the brim with love.

When I graduated from 7th grade, we sang We've Only Just Begun, the Carpenter's song. I looked up and saw my mother crying. It was moving, because my mother was undiagnosed bipolar. She was very angry and moody and abusive at times. But times like that, you could see so much more love than you could with the nightly I love you.

I love the memories of Mamma saying the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep prayer with me when I was a small child.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

For the person my Dad was at the time, and the struggles he had- he did a pretty good job telling us. The problem was that I didn't believe him for a long time.

Since my mom ran off when I was little I obviously don't ever remember hearing it from her. When I met her in my adult life it just wasn't a dynamic we reclaimed.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

No, I Never got Kisses and Hugs or told I love you. I lost my mother at 2 years old.

My dad drop me off at his friends house, they where German, I stayed with them for awhile.

Then he drop me off with Polish people. Then I stayed with people in Kansas, this went on until I was 5years old. Then I stayed with my Grandmother. She died. Then my dad got Married, I went to Missouri. She did not like children, she would lock me up in the bathroom and she would go shopping. I would be in there all day. She did alot of other things to me.

Then I went to a Childrens home, it was hell there. Then I went to another Childrens Home. I stayed there until I was of age. Then I lived with my dad, I had to get a job to take care of him. I got married at 21years old. My husband tryed to kill my dad at the wedding. Then years later my husband tryed to kill me. I had a boy and I adopted a girl. He was mean to the children. He would do bad things in front of my children. They all had different Religions and I had to go to there churches.

I always tell them I love them, I would give them Hugs and Kisses. I do this to this day. I got a divorce.

Now I am with PEC he is the best thing that happen to me. Then I adopted another girl. I am happy now.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

My father was very reserved. I always wanted to be like other kids to hug & give their parents a kiss before bed. It would take me

20 minutes to get up the nerve to approach my dad, it was scarey for me. My mom on the other hand was a little reserved also but now that I'm grown shes awsome. She has

often said she wishes she would have tried harder to show how much she loved us kids. I don't hold anything against my parents they tried as they new how, my dad passed

many years ago.

Hope4Others

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

my parents were never affectionate, I'm guessin' that their parents weren't either. No hugs, no kisses. just didn't happen.

From a young age, I knew I wanted my kids to always know I'd be there for them no matter what. My kids are now 23 and 27, I tell them everyday that I love them. I hug and/or them at every oppertunity, public or at home. My grandkids are even more loving than my children..the cycle is broken.

I love the sound of my kids and grandchildren coming in my door and saying.."Mom I'm home!!"

lisa

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

My mother and myself had quite a volitile relationship while I was growning up. My father and mother split when I was only 1 and I didn't get to know him until I was about 10 or so.

Fast forward: Now my mother and myself are okay - she does tell me how much she loves me now. My father only has only said it a couple of times.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Nope. Nothing. I knew\know that they did but they never said it.

• jambon1
    jambon1

My mum & dad never said it mauch at all but I knew that they loved me. It may have been a generation thing. I am literally so emotional when it comes to my own kids. Sometimes I can just look at them & I feel like crying. I just love them so much. I always kiss them both, a lot, each day & tell them that I love them. I would like to think that we will always be close.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit