went to big "family apostafest" last night....what a blast!

by oompa 12 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

Early on in my adventures here at JWD I went to a posted apostafest in my area. Only 7 or 8 were there, but it was nice to meet others and hears some stories first hand. Last night though I was privileged to attend a family bash at a nice big house with at least 20 awesome people there, and all but one were former dubs (one husband just married in, but was never a dub). One by one over the last ten years, ALL either walked or got the boot. Elders, servants, lots of pioneers...you name it. How common is it for extended families to all make the Exodus like this, or at least a big majority?

Talk about a breath of fresh air! I gave a semi-business reason to my wife for this hook-up with an old friend and his family. But when I stayed over five hours instead of two, and got in late, I got THE QUESTION this morning..."So did all these people used to be JW's?!?" I was not expecting that, but said that I was pretty sure most had either "drifted away" (JW term for fading) or got the boot, but that I did not poll each individual.

There was plenty of JW talk and news, esp. the recent survey on faith stats. One thing of interest...none of the family tried to influence others as to JW crapolla. They said they just kept on loving the dubs still in, and by moving on and having a good life, it seemed to draw other family members out. They all felt that trying to explain, push, debate, argue the REAL TRUTH, you will push others away (like I did before I finally shut up).

I came from a pretty small family, so this was for me a great experience. They do this about once a month, and we do brunch this morning (while wife and son are at meeting!) I have been adopted!..........................................................oompa

• cognac
    cognac
    I have been adopted!

awwwww, that's so nice oompa!!!

• Quandry
    Quandry

They all felt that trying to explain, push, debate, argue the REAL TRUTH, you will push others away (like I did before I finally shut up).

Glad you had a great time. Seems they have found the key to getting others out, and hope that things have calmed down for your situation in your own family.

• oompa
    oompa
    Quandry: hope that things have calmed down for your situation in your own family.

Thank you Quandry. Calmed down....yes, but in so many ways my life is still in, well, a quandry. My family just does not feel like a family anymore, immediate and extended, and I miss that. I feel I don't fit in, and they know I don't fit in anymore. Trying to make the best of it, but do feel I need to broaden out, as the dubs say........................................................oompa

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

You are so totally Apostate now!!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oompa,

You needed these connections. I'm so glad you've found them!

• Dagney
    Dagney

That is sooo great oompa!

How did you find them? Inquiring minds want to know.

• oompa
    oompa
    Dagney: How did you find them? Inquiring minds want to know.

Kind of interesting. I have been kind of avoiding this normal (worldly-JWspeak) guy I am friends with through business, just because I have had a lot on my plate the past two years and been anti-social. He knows this witless family, and had one of them as an employee. So I visited him the other day and just came clean..."hey you know the dub scene real well and that I have been one my whole life...well it has been kind of tough to find out I have been in a frikkin cult my whole life."

He was sooo glad to hear it, and said he had just been told the exact same thing by the former employees daughter who he thinks highly of, and who I know as well. Tells me I need to call her as she has really got her $hit together now. Lo and behold we hook up and her family of 5 adults in fifties/sixties, all their kids and grandkids are now OUT!!!

So how common is it for large numbers of a family to really find out the troof and walk?..................oompa

• choosing life
    choosing life

Sounds great oompa! You make me hopeful that others will see behind the curtain soon.

Enjoy your new found friends.

• Dagney
    Dagney

oompa,

Lo and behold we hook up and her family of 5 adults in fifties/sixties, all their kids and grandkids are now OUT!!!

Wow...seems like Jehovah's direction!!!! (Totally kidding here!!! )

It's one of those great coincidences HS wrote about. I ask because I so miss the social aspect of my old friends. I was over for dinner on Friday, and we just have such a great time...but I'm out of the regular loop and these times are few and far between.

So to your comment rearding getting whole families out...who knows? My feeling is individually, people need to have a questioning mind to at least be searching, or interested in truth enough to entertain alternative information. So maybe some families nurture and encourage individuality and independent thinking. Next time you meet up with your new friends ask them how it happened.

I have so happy for you...you've been through a lot. You will find your way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit