Book of Revelation =By John. Was he just on drugs!!

by Witness 007 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• shamus100
    shamus100

There is no secret... there is nothing to really wrap your head around when it comes to the bible. It is a fictional book written by men.... was he on drugs? Maybe majic mushrooms.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Stillin74 so until the 'end times' when Witnesses started attributing these texts to Rutherfords Watchtower society in 1918??? What a joke...no-one knows what Revalation means..Ive read the Seven day Adventist Revalation book...it has ridiculous ideas in it as does our own. "The number of the beast is a barcode".."The Statue of Liberty is the Harlot" well, why not? I could say the "harlot" represents Hillary Clinton who's to say! =Thus saith "The new faithful Slave" Witness 007.

• shamus100
    shamus100

The harlot is the statue of liberty eh? LOL.

Human beings are so one-minded. We think that the whole world revolves around what we see at this moment in time. There were a lot of civilized nations prior to the United States and the U.K. that fell. Why do we all forget these things?

Who's to say it is? We've been around for a long time, and it could be a prophetic vision for the future... The U.S. will one day fall, and someone else will rise from the dust. Maybe 300 years from now, and some silly people will be arguing over what that gibberish means about the great leader Quang and how he descended from the planet niblar. (sarcasm)

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Perhaps the seemingly hallucinatory aspect of John's Apocalypse is due to its Gnostic nature. In any case, the text is highly symbolic and can be interptreted in many ways.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There is no reason to suppose that the author was on drugs. He was an imitator of a literary genre that already existed (compare with 1 Enoch, 4 Ezra, the Sibylline Oracles, and the lost Oracles of Hystaspes, which probably was a major source for Revelation) and the great bulk of ideas, motifs, and descriptions in Revelation can be found in these works, as well as in the OT. The author freely mixes together traditional imagery and symbols from the OT in novel ways. And despite the continued abuse of Revelation by those desiring to see a future fulfillment of the book, it had a rather coherent aim and message for Christians living in the first century AD. It was a virulently anti-Roman piece of propaganda, just like the Oracles of Hystaspes (possession of which was a capital offence). The book (itself a composite of different oracles) essentially describes the imminent fall of Rome at the hands of Nero redivivus, and it relates a final persecution of Christians at the hands of the emperor. The author repeatedly urges his readers to resist the imperial cult and to refuse state-sponsored idolatry, even under the pain of death. If you read Revelation in its original historical and literary context, you can easily see the political aim of the author.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Laolia you are soo deep...but thanks I get what your saying...it's interesting to have a non-Watchtower point of view.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

It was of it's time .If God has put a message out clearly to the world at the present time so that everyone could follow, it is not in the book of Revelation.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I've always enjoyed and embraced the moldy bread theory. But if we're talking politics of the time, I may have to find a bible

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

Well the key to it all lies in scripture.

2 corint 11:25- Apostle paul admits it all as he says- 3 times was i beaten with rods once was i stoned.

So there you have it they were all smoking the plants or something.

• Hermano
    Hermano
    Instead Jehovah scares the crap out of John and paints a Relalation that people will interpret 100 ways...there is no reason for this to be encoded. Why all the LSD visions in the bible just talk straight.

Excellent point. The God of the bible appears to be very inconsistent. He makes his word available to most of the world's population, except it is so cryptic we can't be certain that anyone can understand it. If it's such an important message why not just speak clearly??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit