Looking back on old photos I saw Me on my last Xmas as a child

by Velvetann 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

I was looking at all my old photos and found this one of me on my last Christmas before my parents found the "truth". I had just turned 3. Look at the joy on my face.

I feel so sad for me and now I feel so bad for all those little children born into that religion. Not just because of Christmas but because there is no magical days and only days of waiting for Armageddon which never comes.

Anyone else feel that the children are being robbed of Joy and happiness.

alt.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Wow! What a cure picture!

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

What a cute picture!!!!!!

I agree with what you said. I do think it's sad that with me being brought up a JW that I have no memories or traditions that were passed down to me from x-mas, birthdays, or any holiday that I can pass down to my child.

I think that is why I go so overboard on Christmas/birthday's for my son. I love to see the excitement and the joy he gets from opening his presents. The only problem I have now, is that I'm running out of things I can buy him that he doesn't already have! I guess that's a good problem for him though! LOL....

babygirl...

• mouthy
    mouthy

Wonderful Picture. Makes me feel guilty for robbing mine

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I really agree. When I first left and decided to start celebrating I read "The Heart of a Family" (the original, not the revised!) The book talks a lot about tradition and how humans respond to it. I got the book to get ideas for traditions to begin with my own kids, but spent the entire book breaking down in tears. If you know me, it is odd... because I don't cry much at all. It was really a deep experience for such a simple book.

It really made me realize how much of a void I felt in my existence because of the lack of tradition or culture or anything really of value. When I look back at my childhood, I feel like there is just this huge void of LIFE.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

I am happy to hear some of you agree so far. Its not so much the "christmas" or "birthdays" but just having special occasions to treat children special and for them to have something to look forward to.

Traditions hold families together in many ways. I made sure my Kids had Christmas and now I spoil my grandsons to much with birthdays and Christmas.

Here is a photo of a District assembly I was at as a child, the child in the photo is not me but a friend of ours. My Mother took the photo. I was about 10 when this was taken, this was the only exciting thing we did after my parents got the truth. IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE ANYONE WAS HAVING A GOOD TIME TO ME!!!!!!

alt

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
  • Velvetann
    Velvetann

Sorry guys to bore you with old photos but its a long cold winter and I decided to go through all the old photos that I inherited from my Mom when she died. I spent Monday scanning some of them and reminising about things. Photos can really bring back things that we have forgotten for years. I am going to find more LOL to bore you with. But seriously I thought I would like to share thoughts of childhood days lost and spent involving how being a Jehovahs Witness robs children of Joy. At least thats the way it was for me.

• Tara
    Tara

Oh, what a cute picture! I can still remember how wonderful new dolls smell. Can you?

Tara (from W-A)

• ninja
    ninja

in the first photo.....what one are you velvy?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit