Elders knew a woman got raped- the woman presses charges but case was

by cognac 69 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cognac
    cognac

dropped because there wasn't enough evidence. The elders did there investigation and could probably help the case out a lot because they found the woman to be innocent and the guy guilty... They knew eachother through JWs. He was going to the meetings his whole life, but didn't have any priviledges.

6-8 months later he became a publisher

1 1/2 later he got baptised...

The woman called the elders begging them not to let this man get baptised because he could hurt somebody else. They didn't listen.

This man has a known history among the elders due to abuse (he used to beat his wife and the elders knew all about it and had proof of it.) This is a recent case... Yet, they do nothing...

• Scully
    Scully

Whether he gets baptized or does not get baptized, he could still rape someone else.

The sad fact is, because there was not enough evidence for the legal system to convict him, he's considered "Not Guilty" under the law. How were the elders able to determine his guilt if the courts could not? Maybe they could be investigated for withholding evidence or obstruction of justice, particularly if they were able to get him to confess. The courts have determined that confessions occurring in the context of JW judicial committee hearings do not meet the ecclesiastical privilege standard - elders would have to disclose information to the authorities.

• cognac
    cognac
    The sad fact is, because there was not enough evidence for the legal system to convict him, he's considered "Not Guilty" under the law. How were the elders able to determine his guilt if the courts could not? Maybe they could be investigated for withholding evidence or obstruction of justice, particularly if they were able to get him to confess.

This case never went to trial. The elders did one of there investigations because the woman is a JW and went right to them. I guess they had to make sure the woman was innocent or something, I'm not really sure why they investigated it so much. But, they told her they found him to be guilty and her innocent. There were a lot of people involved because it involved a JW party...

The authorities don't know the elders know anything because the elders said they don't get involved in court cases so she didn't bring it up to the authorities.

The case didn't go to trial. I guess it still could it the authorities took any of this as evidence...

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

Man you have got to love the legal system in the US. Meanwhile there actually are innocent people in prison that legitimately did nothing wrong but this scumbag gets to walk free. It is the same here in Canada to. Wife abusers, rapists, kiddy touchers, and murderers all deserve the exact same fate. A public execution on live TV.

• cognac
    cognac
    Man you have got to love the legal system in the US. Meanwhile there actually are innocent people in prison that legitimately did nothing wrong but this scumbag gets to walk free.

The Legal System seems to always work more in favor for evil people...

• dawg
    dawg

OK, here's the question... The Elders knew the man was guilty? How? If they knew it, id they under Massachusetts' law have the obligation to tell the authorities?

• cognac
    cognac
    OK, here's the question... The Elders knew the man was guilty? How? If they knew it, id they under Massachusetts' law have the obligation to tell the authorities?

I'm not sure but they did know that the woman did go to the authorities...

• dawg
    dawg

Well, what did they say about her going to the authorities? Was she punished? If there was evidence that was considered "clergy client" the DA might have chosen not to go there. It would be a dead end if the Elders weren't willing to testify. So, back to the original question... what is the law in Massachusetts concerning disclosure by clergy.

• cognac
    cognac

No, she's was actually encouraged to go get a restraining order and they said they wouldn't pressure her into doing anything and she was the victim and they would support her with whatever she chose to do...

It would be a dead end if the Elders weren't willing to testify. So, back to the original question... what is the law in Massachusetts concerning disclosure by clergy.

I'm not sure of the laws regarding that... I can check it out though...

• dawg
    dawg

I usually agree with your views, but there may be laws that may in fact keep the Elders from disclosing private meetings between parishioners. Plus, it may not have effected the case, telling someone what you heard from someone else is hearsay evidence and sometimes inadmissible. What I don't understand is why the Elders didn't tell the boy that he needed to tell the authorities.. that if he didn't then he couldn't serve?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit