Do you ever miss it? Ever?

by AK - Jeff 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

For me - rarely would be the correct word. I don't miss the indoctrination. I don't miss the wasted time in service. But sometimes - just occasionally - I miss the ready made friends, the lunches after the meetings, the occasional invite to some-one's home to spend time together. In other words - the social connections.

I have made a few new friends since leaving - but honestly I am mostly a loner now. At 50+ it is not easy for me to do the 'make friends' thing. Family commitments fill up large chunks of my time and energy [we are raising our Grandmunchkins Three]. My recreational time in summer is mostly about playing golf - a solitary sport, even when played in a group.

Just every once in a while I get the urge to go back - though I know I would not be allowed from their perspective [I am DA'd now] to be a part of the little club at the Kingdom Hall. I don't want to do it really - but from time to time the thought pierces my thinking before I purge it. Today I had to purge that thought. Perish the day!

Ever have those thoughts?

Jeff

• sacolton
    sacolton

Lemme think ... no.

• yumbby
    yumbby

I never was accepted even when I was a witness, I never could figure out why, so no. I NEVER miss it. Not anything about it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I will never go back. But, when i think about it, i miss the social stuff, too. At least, you have your family.

S

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Faith was a big thing for me to lose. That I miss very much.

Never liked the format of being a JW. Don’t miss that at all.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I do Jeff.. I'm getting on with my life, but still look back sometimes. Its not a bad feeling for me either like many on here. Just a torn feeling. You look after yourself bud.

• wings
    wings

No and yes. I miss being happily married (or pretending to be, JW's are good at pretending, I think it is one of the foundation teachings) I miss my home, my life, my friends. I do have many JW friends I love.

But then reality bites,

and I am glad to be working on real.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most (if not all) people who joined the religion by choice probably do look back and miss certain aspects of it. I know I have. Those who where raised in it can have a very different experience.

In reference to myself (who joined by choice) I can only say that every time I look back and miss it I'm never really thinking of the religion per se, but rather the idealized view I had of the group before I joined. Once I remember how the ideals put forth by the Watchtower can never really be honestly achieved the feeling begins to pass.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Ah Yes the ready made friends, the ones who pretend to be your friends because its the christian duty thing. Its funny after leaving I thought I had loads of friends not one

called to see what was up? I do have the hubby we hang out all the time, we never made friends on the outside before so I agree it is hard at times. We do have lots of acquaintance's

I guess that's the extent of our socializing. We try to keep busy. We golf in the summer and watch sports, I love Curling, and we've gone to some the whl games. I guess we used to be

accused of being self a satisfied as a couple. I imagine we are. That's what happens after 30yrs.

Hope4Others

• worf
    worf

No.

Worf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit