OMG - I did it - I told my Mom and Dad how I feel...

by Princess Daisy Boo 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

My mom and dad came round today and we ended up at the local mall with my hubby and kids having lunch. After lunch my hubby went home with the kids and I stayed on with my folks to do some shopping. As we were driving home, I pointed out my son's new school, and we were discussing the merits of private vs. public schools etc, and mom says "I just hope that by the time the kids get to highschool that the end has come, and you and the family are in the truth".

I mumbled something about having my doubts. She asked what I mean, and I said I have been thinking about things. She asked if I discussed things with hubby and would he be willing to study and I realised that she had misunderstood me. I told her that we had no wish to study and come back into the truth. She was rather taken aback. She asked if I still believed in a creator. I said I wasn't sure. I said that I had been doing some research and found out some discturbing things and even if there is a god, I dont necessarily believe that the witnesses are his chosen organisation. She said "what things?". I mentioned the UN thing first... she questioned where I had ever heard such a thing... and when I mentioned the internet I could see her rolling her eyes. Then I mentioned the changes in the blood doctine. And then then the 1000000's now living will never die and how we were getting to the end of that generation and still no armageddon. My last issue that I threw at her was the pedophile issue. She said to me "Hilary, you are talking like an apostate!". I almost started laughing at that. By this time, we had reached my house and were sitting talking in the car. I could see that Mom was very shocked at the turn that this conversation had taken. In over ten years of me not attending meetings, I have never expressed doubts about the "truth", I have generally just avoided the converation, kept quiet or changed the subject. Mom said she was going to investigate the UN and paedophile issue.My Dad said nothing the whole time, but that is not suprising, he is a bit deaf, so most conversations in my family go over his head.

They dropped me off, and my mom's last comment was to inform me that things I read on the internet are written by apostates (no kidding mom!). My parting shot was "that doesn't mean they are not true"

This all happened an hour ago and my heart is still beating fast. I cant belive I said all those things... I have now opened a can of worms and I am not sure if I have done the right thing. I am not very good with debate and remembering all the facts and quick comebacks, even when I feel really strongly about something. I have no idea how to take them on... where to from here... should I write a letter explainng things in greater detail? She is not going to let the matter lie now so I need to plan my next move.

Any comments?

Much love,

PDB

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Way to go!!!

That is a scary thing to do, but you did it.

You could tell her that you found the info about the UN on the UN's own website. The Watchtower Society has their own link on the NGO page. That's one thing that's definately not written by apostates.

momz

• brinjen
    brinjen

First of all;

my mom's last comment was to inform me that things I read on the internet are written by apostates (no kidding mom!). My parting shot was "that doesn't mean they are not true"

I like that one, reverses the argument completely.

My first thoughts are to gather up information from non-apostate sources. Like the UN & paedophile issues. Try to find as much non-biased material as you can.

Congratulations & good luck.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Here's the link to a pdf file from the UN website regarding the NGO scandal:

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:FEY8gCOVBokJ:www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/pdfs/watchtower.pdf+%22watchtower%22+%22united+nations%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=au

*edited to add*

There's a link to the pdf at the top of the page.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Congratulations! Most likely your mother will go into a state of denial. Most Witnesses (my wife included) will not hold the organization accountable for any of the wrong and hypocritical things they have done and/or are doing. The sin is that we know these things and not that the WTS has done them.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

I am glad for you. In my case it was definitely for the better as I now can have a relationship with my parents again without feeling deceitful inside.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/147901/1.ashx

I really do believe that if more people did this it would do them good. However each to their own

All the best

Thomas Covenant

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I know when I was going through the stage of researching I had word files divided up by topic (like "holidays", "disfellowshipping", etc) and then put all the bible verses and arguments or links to non-biased sites there under the appropriate document.

I have a terrible memory, and it helped me organize my thoughts and I also had many of my conversations by phone so I could sit at my computer and pull up a watchtower article date or scripture really fast.

I to liked your response to it all being written by apostates. It took away the impact of the statement completely. I am impressed you came all out and open about it, that took a lot of courage.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

Good for you. I have got balls to do some crazy things, but even I can't tell my parents yet. I hope one day I can follow your lead and just do it. BTW "She said to me "Hilary, you are talking like an apostate!"- That made my chuckle.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

No doubt you really feel a measure of relief, I know that there are a lot of news video's about jw pedophiles I had emailed the clips to my sister, and actually showed my

mother. They were out of a TV station in Chicago. And I've seen a couple out of New York. There is lots of info out there not written by "Apostates" that's the best bet. Since we

all know how witnesses immediately shut down with the "Apostate" word...

There are lots of friends here that perhaps have info saved to help you out.

Best of Luck

Hope4Others

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Every "Apostate" website that I know of has outside documentation. For instance, www.silentlambs.org has every news broadcast there is about the sex abuse issue. Here is a website that quotes the WTB&TS own words: www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/ You say that you are not good at debate, but your parting shot was a good one! Congrats and good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit