Do You Believe In "God" In ANY Way, Shape or Form?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Accept that this life IS all we have now, tomorrow and always.

That sentence reeks of a religious fervor I almost wish I had.

Burn

• Gopher
    Gopher
    But the lives we live in the here-and-now are no different.

Maybe. Those whose beliefs are guided by religions may put off certain activities (pleasurable or working) to the after-life. They are convinced that they should sacrifice certain things here and now, for the promise of a future that the belief system/religion holds out.

Whereas the non-believer knows for sure we have this life, and isn't sure if anything is beyond. (I guess we'll find out when we get there, if there is a "there" there.)

So the non-believer would have the attitude that this life MUST be used to the fullest, because anything beyond that is unsure. The believer may not share that attitude, because to them life will surely continue on and so why worry. (In extreme forms this is bad, as when Islamic terrorists believe they'll get a special after-life reward if they blow themselves up in a crowded market.)

• startingover
    startingover

IP SEC

More broadly theism/atheism is not a lifestyle choice, merely it is a choice to believe or not to believe. Antitheism on the other hand seems to become just as religious and life consuming as fundyreligionism (like my words I make up? )

Wasting time spreading anti religious propaganda is just as life wasting as spending time in church IMHO.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You just turned me on to a new word, "antitheism". Although when questioned I would claim atheism, in reality antitheism probably fits me better. The frustration that goes with that position has been wearing me down. As of right now, those days are over. Thanks again.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I don't know.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

But you could be wrong. You don't know anything for sure, nor do I. You take it on faith that "this is all there is, baby!"

Someone else takes it on faith that consciousness continues on in some manner. But the lives we live in the

here-and-now are no different.

How could I be wrong? I've meditated on this in the past and present: Exactly how could I be wrong? Not that I see it as impossible to be wrong about numerous thoughts (I DO), but how in this case? Where did that self-doubt come from? When was anything presented to me outside of religion or areligous god-teachings that provided a possibility that this isn't all there is? If there was never any religion ever.....would that fear or doubt reside in me in the least? No.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Accept that this life IS all we have now, tomorrow and always.

That sentence reeks of a religious fervor I almost wish I had.

Burn

I should have changed it to reflect my own opinion, one that is of peace. Accept that this life IS all I have now, tomorrow and always.

• journey-on
    journey-on

lonleysheep, you are relating "God" to religion. I guess my concept of a creator is confusing. I don't embrace organized

religion either. And I base my belief in my concept of God on personal experiences I have had. I totally understand how

religion just knocked the God wind out of your sails. I guess when I argue for a God, my concept gets in the way of the

usual way others view it (through the eyes of religious dogma).

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    lonleysheep, you are relating "God" to religion.

I'm relating religion to where the thought of god ever came from in the first place, within my life and many others centuries back. Based on your posts over time, I'm pretty sure I understand where you're coming from, and saw that it was my writing that wasn't as clear as it should have been.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I guess my screen name says how I feel.

Ken P.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

No. I think there's something difficult to nail down that some call spirituality -- what gives a painting or a rock or a song its beauty to us -- but that's not even remotely the same thing.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit