Do You Believe In "God" In ANY Way, Shape or Form?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Gotchaby
  • Hortensia
    Hortensia

No, god is just wishful thinking. If you stop wishing and start living, then you waste less of the life you have.

• Terry
    Terry

If I'm going to decide without proof that something is true which is as important as the "god" issue--I'm also going to have to wonder why there is no proof.

What should be the thing least likely to lack proof than the existence of a superhuman, powerful entity that can do absolutely anything?

Here are some reasons.

1.The most powerful (i.e. SUPREME) being should be able to easily have things go His/Her way. But, history shows the opposite.

2.An all-knowing, all-powerful entity should not have to construct elaborate, far-reaching plans to achieve something as simple as the snap of the fingers to accomplish. Yet, God's apologists would have us believe that is how God's will is done. A Rube Goldberg scheme that not even the most adept theologist can adequately explain without charts, graphs and a heaping dose of gullibility.

3.So many things in this universe look like the result of random, often chaotic, happenstance that the element of Perfect Design seems to be rather ridiculous.

• Terry
    Terry

If I'm going to decide without proof that something is true which is as important as the "god" issue--I'm also going to have to wonder why there is no proof.

What should be the thing least likely to lack proof than the existence of a superhuman, powerful entity that can do absolutely anything?

Here are some reasons.

1.The most powerful (i.e. SUPREME) being should be able to easily have things go His/Her way. But, history shows the opposite.

2.An all-knowing, all-powerful entity should not have to construct elaborate, far-reaching plans to achieve something as simple as the snap of the fingers to accomplish. Yet, God's apologists would have us believe that is how God's will is done. A Rube Goldberg scheme that not even the most adept theologist can adequately explain without charts, graphs and a heaping dose of gullibility.

3.So many things in this universe look like the result of random, often chaotic, happenstance that the element of Perfect Design seems to be rather ridiculous.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Of course, and I leave him/her/it alone as long as he/she/it leaves me alone.

• wings
    wings

Yes, but that is only because I don't know how to say "no I don't believe". I have come as close to not believing as I hope to get.

Is it noon yet?

• journey-on
    journey-on
    No, god is just wishful thinking. If you stop wishing and start living, then you waste less of the life you have.

I don't understand this reasoning. How does believing in a creator keep you from living a happy prosperous exciting life? (other than the JW or fundy example....lol) We own businesses, travel abroad, enjoy our friends and families, get educated, belong to clubs or organizations we're interested in, plant our gardens, decorate our homes, entertain, go to movies, etc. What, pray tell, do you atheists do any differently?

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Good question across the board.

No. I do not believe in god in any way, shape or form.

I thought about this recently....that I am a skeptic. The last thing I gave up was astrology and the first was god-- both, in any way, shape or form.

Journey-on wrote: What, pray tell, do you atheists do any differently?

Accept that this life IS all we have now, tomorrow and always. Nature is more powerful than I could've ever thought and is not controlled by any creator. Those were the two major issues for me.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    How does believing in a creator

Hey Journeyon

Well first creator and god are not necessarily the same thing.

More broadly theism/atheism is not a lifestyle choice, merely it is a choice to believe or not to believe. Antitheism on the other hand seems to become just as religious and life consuming as fundyreligionism (like my words I make up? )

Wasting time spreading anti religious propaganda is just as life wasting as spending time in church IMHO.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Accept that this life IS all we have now, tomorrow and always.

But you could be wrong. You don't know anything for sure, nor do I. You take it on faith that "this is all there is, baby!"

Someone else takes it on faith that consciousness continues on in some manner. But the lives we live in the

here-and-now are no different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit