I'm really trying to understand....

by Anti-Christ 26 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Momz, I hear where your coming from. Let your journey begin.

Our situation as ex jw's and making it to this board reminds me of what I heard at an AA meeting back in the 80's after escaping the tower. AA will Fuxx your drinking up. You will never be able to drink the same again. And that was true.

Escaping the tower screws up your child like innocense of beliving in the God of the bible.

They say you cant ever go home.

Few can stay children forever, life is too demanding.

Weve reached the point in our spiritual journey, where our former beliefs are like a stretched out pair of underwear with the elastic wore out. There never going to fit again.

Ignorance is bliss and knowledge knowledge is torment.

Our you can take your knowledge and power yourself out of the Wactower

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Well I'm back from work. You all have interesting points

Weve reached the point in our spiritual journey, where our former beliefs are like a stretched out pair of underwear with the elastic wore out.

This one is a good one.

To continue the story of my "spiritual journey" " When I started learning about how the bible really came into existence I was shocked. I did not know that there was so many different writings that did not make it into the bible that were believed to be from god and that it took many years after Jesus death for it to be finely compiled and then it was "reedited" by the church.

The other thing that surprised me was all the crazy things in the OT, all the contradictions, scientifically and historical inaccuracies. I said to myself that the big shots at the Wactower must know all of this so why don't they mention it? Well dheu!

Most of the explanations that the WT comes up with for some of these things are the same as most of all the other Christians religions and like most explanations they ignore certain facts or they don't provide any proof for there explanations.

So now to conclude my story. I am realising that a lot of people just don't have all the information, that's why they stick to what they believe or that they simply don't want to know.

• MMae
    MMae
    I'm really trying to understand why some people stick to the belief that the bible is the inherent word of god.

For many of us former JWS, having the Bible as the authority over the WTS has been a vital part of being able to break free from mind-controlling religion. Taking the next step of questioning the authority of the Bible can feel like questioning God Himself. (Of course, it felt that way when we questioned the WTS, too.)

I think one has to ask if they can hold onto their belief in a Higher Power, while letting go of the idea that the Bible is God's infalable message to mankind? Can one accept that some parts of the Bible may have a message from God, while other parts are more likely to be the thoughts of men?

I think the real question has to be, can one have a REAL relationship with God, turn to Him (and our God-given conscience) as our ulimate source of guidance?? After all, don't we who believe in the Great Spirit worship HIM, and NOT a book?

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

AC - do you have any sites or links to the info you mentioned re the Bible's history? x

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I think the real question has to be, can one have a REAL relationship with God, turn to Him (and our God-given conscience) as our ulimate source of guidance?? After all, don't we who believe in the Great Spirit worship HIM, and NOT a book?

That would seem so. Except, it was the book that provided the idea and incentive for worship in the first place.

Without the book, would people have a desire or feel a need to worship? We are often told that people have an inherent "need" to worship, but it seems to me that very young people have a greater capacity for learning from imitation. And if the adults they trust or respect are performing certain rituals or worship, then it's only natural that they would imitate that.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I think one has to ask if they can hold onto their belief in a Higher Power, while letting go of the idea that the Bible is God's infalable message to mankind? Can one accept that some parts of the Bible may have a message from God, while other parts are more likely to be the thoughts of men?

Those are interesting questions. Were I'm at now I look inward for guidance and sometimes I ask my fellow man or women for help. Maybe looking inward is asking god in a sense but I don't think relying 100% on the bible is a good thing in the long run.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    AC - do you have any sites or links to the info you mentioned re the Bible's history? x

The Formation of the New Testament Canon This is a good start, a lot of information. I like to look at both sides to compare but you will see like I have that a lot of Cristian sites leave out some information. This one I posted is from a secular source.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Maybe praying is the same as mentally talking your way through a problem.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Cool ta for that, adding it to my research list... xx

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Wow everyone! I was just paraphrasing John 3:16. It wasn't a plan of action, just a thought that I was pondering. I certainly do not advocate that one HAS to find salvation in the first place. In fact, I really believe that salvation is from within. The Witnesses miss the boat on this one. Does anyone here actually believe that one must dedicate your entire life worshipping something that not one soul could prove actually happened exactly as stated? Dedicated Witnesses spend their eternity searching for the truth only to find a dead end at the end of the road.

Apurpose in life? Well how about not analyzing it to death and start enjoying what the planet has to offer?

Thanks Renee for waking up the thread! You are right in that if you want to be "saved" I suppose most say you have to dedicate your life. I kinda prefer to explore all God created.

Hope He doesn't mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit