Fidel Castro gives up power, what will happen?

by JK666 59 Replies latest jw friends

• JK666
    JK666

I am shallow! Will Cohiba's and MonteCristo's get cheaper and more available in the U.S.?

Or any other thoughts from the deeper thinkers.

JK

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Unfortunately I don't see many changes happening. His brother is taking over, he has the same views as Fidel.

momz

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I am not so shallow, especially since my family had to leave and family members suffered torture or death.

Short term, I think nothing will happen.

Burn

• thepackage
    thepackage

I heard his sister was/is a JW anybody know if this is true?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Let me add that Raul seems to be more favorable to opening relations witht he US. Perhaps with Fidel's passing the US will attempt to reach out.

Burn

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

So far they are saying the embargos will stay in place.

momz

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

His brother is 76. Raul can't live much longer himself. Perhaps there is more hope with his successor? I'm eager to see who he names as his successor.

• llbh
    llbh

Word here in the uk isw nothing will happen till after US elections then it will change forever

So go there this year

David

• still_in74
    still_in74

I just got back from Cuba on Saturday. Been there 3 times !

I got a box of 25 Cohibas for $50 CDN. I could have gotten MC for $20 Pesos. Actually - just and FYI - I smoked my first cigar last week, I like the smaller cigars over the large stogeys. In fact, I loved my smaller Cohiba !! My wife doesnt know I brought a small box back for myself.... ;)

Anyway, what will happen? NOTHING. Cuba hates the US. The US has wanted Cuba for hundreds of years and they have never backed down. When you tour_havana you get to hear the Cuban side of the story. I even saw a billboard with a pic of Bush=Hitler. Very funny!

Plus I imagine if the US came back to CUBA they would want all the buildings and property Castro confiscated in 1959.
    Tourism is the countries #1 industry so that wont slow down either. No way.

Viva La Revolucion !

• still_in74
    still_in74
    Let me add that Raul seems to be more favorable to opening relations witht he US. Perhaps with Fidel's passing the US will attempt to reach out.

I heard the opposite, that he was even more hard-line about the US

As for the US "reaching out" you must mean the US reaching out to consume all of Cuba's natural resources/Oil and to dominate the country through economic dependance of the American consumer right?
    Don't take this the wrong way, but the reason Cuba is a great country to vacation is because corporate America has not been allowed to destroy/ruin it. Ask any non-american that has travelled to various islands in the Carribean and Mexico and then travelled to Cuba. They will all agree with that statement.
    Maybe its just me, but I dont want to shop at Walmart and eat at McDonalds when I am in Cuba. America has a way of getting its own way, but then wasnt that the reason for the revolution in the first place?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit