Is Disfellowshipping Scripturally Proper, In Your Opinion?

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Disfellowshipped people are supposed to be treated like "tax collectors and people of the nations". While such people might be looked down on for their actions, they were not totally cut off. Jesus himself associated with tax collectors (though he condemned some of their actions). They are, effectively, no longer members of the group.

The witlesses take that to the extreme. Not only is their membership dissolved, but they are harassed, often embarrassed (if they ever want to rejoin), and their families are busted up. None of that is scriptural.

• minimus
    minimus

Wiz, great point about treatment of tax collectors and no longer being part of the group. Jesus talked to them, didn't shun them....Jesus would never advocate treating people like the Pharisees did!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't disagree with the practice of shunning on an individual level. If I choose to shun soneone because I don't like them I reserve the right to do so, and no one can do anything about it. For the most part, I shun only JWs because they are utterly worthless to me.

I am opposed to people telling others who they may or may not associate with. It's even worse when people are not even given a reason when they're told to shun soneone.

W

• minimus
    minimus

If someone claims to be Christian, how can they reconcile shunning a person to the degree that they turn their head away from them and regard them as "dead"???

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

Summer- Thank you, that is the exact scripture to which I was referring. Minimus, does this Cor. description fit disfellowshipping? I realize they take it to the extreme, but isn't that how most of the JW belief system is? They take a verse and pervert and twist it to fit their own meanings, from what I can see...

• minimus
    minimus

I believe that for a 1st century Christian to have that type of action taken against him, he would've been warned over and over again. A tribunal (no evidence in the first cent. cong.) did not exist. Yes, this scripture has been perverted.

• minimus
    minimus

In most cases, those being appointed now are not like those previously appointed. There's not much to choose from these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit