Is Disfellowshipping Scripturally Proper, In Your Opinion?

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Do you believe that the method Jehovah's Witnesses use to shun a person is founded from the Bible and Christianity?

• blondie
    blondie

It is certainly not based on the judicial cases heard publicly in the gates during Israelite times.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Nope. This is 100% made up - probably by "the Judge".

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, JWs teach that their foundation is based upon the older men and their method of judging. The JW judicial process is not Christlike. It is based upon Organizational standards. It is an affront to true Christianity.

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

While I personally disagree with the practice, there is some scriptural backing for it. I can't remember the verse I saw recently, but it basically said that if anyone in the congregation is committing a sin or breaking any of the commandments they should be put out, or something to that effect. That people outside the church or congregation should not be judged by church members on their sin, but that anyone within the church who sins should be called out on it. Anyone who claims to be a follower, but is an adulterer, or drunkard...etc. is not to be associated with. I think this was in the OT, but it may have been in Timothy...

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

While I personally disagree with the practice, there is some scriptural backing for it. I can't remember the verse I saw recently, but it basically said that if anyone in the congregation is committing a sin or breaking any of the commandments they should be put out, or something to that effect. That people outside the church or congregation should not be judged by church members on their sin, but that anyone within the church who sins should be called out on it. Anyone who claims to be a follower, but is an adulterer, or drunkard...etc. is not to be associated with. I think this was in the OT, but it may have been in Timothy...

• minimus
    minimus

That scripture does not describe JW disfellowshipping.

• *summer*
    *summer*

1Cr 5:9
    I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people.
    1Cr 5:10
    Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world.
    1Cr 5:11
    But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person.
    1Cr 5:12
    For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside?
    1Cr 5:13
    But those who are outside God judges. Therefore "put away from yourselves the evil person."

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen
    But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person.
    1Cr 5:12

When a person is DF'ed he is no longer "named a brother". A guess he could be treated like any worldly(tm) person then...

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Sure there are those scriptures but what about ones that speak about love covering a multitude of sin, if you haven't sinned cast the first stone, by this they will know that you are my brothers - if you have love amongst yourselves, and a whole host of forgiveness scriptures.

They may use one or two scriptures out of context to prove disfellowshipping - I personally would go with the love path myself.

When people I knew where disfellowshipped - I still greeted and acknowlege them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit