Smoking = Disfellowshiping is it justified?? Do you do it now?

by Witness 007 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I did smoke in the 80's but I think it's fairly stupid now. For the nicotine high it seems the price is too high. In Los Angeles very few people smoke and I'm ok with that

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

My Boss has Cancer and he Somokes like a Chimney..........soo sad for his family...........but still he wont give up!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I can't see any justification for disfellowshipping a smoker. If the WTBTS is using the 'health' angle, then that too is unfair (as other posters have pointed out, no one can be ignorant of 'food health' issues today). The smoking 'ban' came in during the 1970s, when the 'dangers' of smoking were really just being recognised/acknowledged.

The problem (and there are loads, lol) with the WTBTS is that it claims to follow the Bible - when the smoking issue arose, I heard that tobacco is condemned in the Bible as 'wormwood'

• searcher
    searcher

I am ok with smoking as the org has proven it to be scripturally allowed.

How?

Well, the bible says refrain from eating blood and the org has 'proved' that taking in blood by any other means is 'eating'.

Genisis states that god gave man 'all plants for his use', so taking in the tobacco plant by smoke is 'eating'.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I like your logic searcher

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Searcher, good logic.....can I be your diciple.......do you have any litrature or magazine I can subscribe to?

• FairMind
    FairMind

I stopped smoking in 1973 when it became a DF..ing offense. Glad I did as I enjoy good health today while all of my birth family members have been long dead due to tobacco related health problems. I would never start smoking again even if DF’d, simply due to not wanting to hurt my health.

Having said the above, the WT’s anti-smoking stance is based primarily on their belief that smoking is a spiritistic practice. Note the following from

***w739/1p.543DoYouRemember?***

?

WhydoJehovah’switnessesnotacceptforbaptismpersonswhoareaddictedtotobacco?

Tobacco befouls the body and is harmful to health; hence, its use reflects disrespect for the Giver of life, Jehovah God. The use of tobacco does not harmonize with the Biblical admonition for Christians to ‘cleanse themselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit.’ Then, too, tobacco contains an addictive drug, nicotine. Therefore tobacco can be classed with the addictive drugs like those that provided the source for the Greek term phar·ma·ki´a, “druggery.” The Bible specifically states that “druggers,” whether those who personally make a practice of using such drugs or those who urge others to indulge in such a practice, will not gain divine approval. (Gal. 5:20; Rev. 9:21; 2 Cor. 7:1)—Pp. 338, 339.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I have a problem with the question.

Being disfellowshipped is in many ways a gift of good health. To be separated from the WTBS is a good thing.

Smoking is not a gift of good health. Therefore there is a bit of a disconnect with the question.

The Oracle

• FairMind
    FairMind

I have a problem with the question.

Being disfellowshipped is in many ways a gift of good health. To be separated from the WTBS is a good thing.

Smoking is not a gift of good health. Therefore there is a bit of a disconnect with the question.

Ok Oracle I see your point! The best of all worlds is to not smoke and to be disfellowshipped for something else.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Fairmind....

CORRECT!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit