Are JWs allowed to go to wedding of disfellowshiped child?

by freetosee 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freetosee
    freetosee

Since I've been out for so long I would like to ask if there has been any change regarding the association with disfellowshiped. Can active jws go to the wedding of their df'd sons or daughters? Any policy change?

Thank you,
    fts

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

freetosee,

I have been out a long time too, but I believe from what I have heard, that it really depends on the parents. I think

some would feel free to go (if it was not going to get back to the congregation) and others would feel it would be

against Jehovah.

As far as I know JWs are still not to associate with disfellowshipped relatives. My son sent me excerpts from the 1980 WT when I

asked him if it had changed and that definitely says "NO".

Love and hugs,

Velta

• freetosee
    freetosee

Thank you Velta!

The last I remember is that once the df'd child leaves home there should be no association. Association with df'd persons can lead to being df'd. So, is going and participating in the wedding of a df'd child a df'ing offence?

Was there a km or new wt to enforce the 80's policies?

• MOG
    MOG

i would never concern myself with that..here is where i am getting at. If you were baptizedJW and decided to leave the organization but still follow Jehovah
    . Would God say, you will die in armageddon because you were not in the organization? riddle me this..

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." (Ephesians 2:8)

• freetosee
    freetosee

Mog, I dont see what your post has to do with my question!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was an elder in 2006. They never "allowed" this to happen.
    For years, they were soft on members associating with DF'ed/DA'ed relatives
    unless it became a congregation concern. But they definitely didn't want their
    elders/MS's/pioneers doing so.

About 2001 to 2003, they started getting more hardline on this, and have not
    let up on elders/MS's/pioneers being "exemplary" or stepping aside.

Today, if they want to gun for ya, and you do such a thing, they will call it
    interfaith or say you ate with a DF'ed one (at the reception) or both. If you
    regularly attend meetings, but are a quiet nobody in the congregation, they
    probably wouldn't do anything if someone knew of this, but that depends on
    the elders and their mindset. Some would gun for anyone. The member
    would need to be "repentant" and would lose any appeals to a DF. They
    could also just DA those that enter a church and have no due process.

Edited to add: Tell a JW to do what they want, but DON'T TELL THE OTHERS.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

i was told,that it was a matter of ones own conscience..the same jws that were harrassing my friends parents for attending her wedding.were encouraging their son to leave his legal wife,and to take up w/his mothers best friends daughter...the reason was,get this,you ll love this,was that the soonto be ex was fat and a bad house keeper..now,this was ok.but her parents,going to her wedding was not...hmmmm

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Some friends of ours had the book study taken out of their home because they attended their DF'd daughter's wedding.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

OTWO gave the most accurate answer. My father who is a PO, attended my da'd sister's wedding to an unbeliever, walking her down the aisle (it was not in a church). We all attended. If we had just gone and not said anything to anyone, nothing would have happened, but my stepmother got everyone in the congregation involved, sisters making centerpieces, tending bar, etc so everyone knew about it. Someone complained to the CO and for that my father was removed as PO for one year. He was not df'd and nothing happened to the rest of us. Technically, it is a conscience matter, but because he was a PO, he was supposed to be exemplary in setting an example for his family and the rest of the congregation, letting them all know exactly what "their conscience" should be telling them to do!

Cog

• Open mind
    Open mind

"Normally, a close relative would not be disfellowshipped for associating with a disfellowshipped person unless there is spiritual association or an effort made to justify or excuse the wrongful course."

"Pay Attention to Yourselves & All the Flock" pg 103, last paragraph

Attending a wedding would not be considered "spiritual association" even if it was in a church, IMO, since a recent WT article on conscience made it clear that a JW could attend a wedding in a church as long as they weren't participating in any form of worship.

However, as OTWO pointed out, any "privileges" would be yanked.

Also, if the elders cornered you on attending and were grilling you, you'd better be sorry and not cop an attitude with them. If you do, they can DF you for "loose conduct".

OM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit