When Making Decisions - Do You View Taking Risks as Positive or Negative?

by flipper 29 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

You know we all took a risk in leaving the Jehovah's Witness organization . And for many of us this risk has proved to be a positive force in our lives . It has opened up a new possibility of an uncharted, yet exciting future for us to pursue , whether it be going back to college and getting an education , or if we are religious , some here have found a more appropriate religion for themselves. Some of us have come to be at peace with atheist or agnostic views , as I myself have.

The Watchtower kept us in fear of taking risks that could work out positive for us - predicting we'd all fall apart and have negative things happen to us . It is a trade-off , I have found. We may lose some family, but we gain our freedom of choice , and more valuable friends who see us for what we really are .

Some people never see the positive in taking risks. The book I've read "Gestalt Therapy Verbatim" by the psychologist Frederick Perls mentions this point. He asked the question to patients he was interviewing , " Has anybody a definition for risk -taking ? What's involved in risk taking ? " Their answers were :

1. Getting hurt

2. Taking a Dare

3. Going too far

4. A Hazardous attempt

5. Inviting Danger

Then he mentioned to them that all their answers were only what negative things would happen if you took a risk ! He said, " You have to see both sides of the picture, you might gain, you might lose ! " Then he continued, " One of the most important moments in my life was after I had escaped World War 2 Germany and there was a position as a training analyst available in South Africa to 4 of us who were qualified. My 3 partners wanted guarantees . I said I'll take a risk and move to Africa. All 3 of my partners were caught by the Nazis and killed. I took a risk and I'm still alive ! "

So, the point of it is - we have to know what risks to take in life. We can't live in fear of the future- or we will never live in the here and now ! As former Jehovah's Witnesses we had it mentally beaten into us to live in fear of the future - so we didn't enjoy life NOW. So now we can take a deep breath , live each day , take it as it comes , take appropriate risks and educate ourselves about life ! How does that sound to you all? What are your thoughts on risk- taking ? Do you look at it as a possible positive ? Or only negative ? Should be an interesting discussion. I certainly look forward to your comments. I wish you all well , and I hope life is giving you what you need

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I take them as pushing oneself to question conditions previously unquestioned.

Risks are chances wieghed mainly by their outcome! Not bad if enough go in your favour, but after a bad run one can't help but feel fate is against them - and vice versa.

• Maddie
    Maddie

I think I understand what you are asking here Flipper. Everything new that we do involves taking some risk, whether that risk factor is high or not. If we didn't take any risks we wouldn't do much with our lives at all. Sadly some people become phobic about life and hide themselves away because they visualise all the possible dangers that await them if they venture outside of their four walls.

When I decided to leave the WT and tell my son my reasons for doing so, I took a risk that was frightening to me. The negative results would be to lose contact with my son and grand child (maybe forever). I took the positive point of view that by my actions my son may begin to question things about the JW's and eventually his mind would be freed too. Progress and achievements are only ever made by people who are prepared to take a risk and face adversities head on.

Maddie

• megaflower
    megaflower

I view it as something very positive. I invite new opportunity's and challenges.When I was JW I felt stagnant and did not feel challenged. The society placed so many restrictions on us that I felt locked in to a life of meetings and service. If one strayed from that path for even a moment then your spitituality was in jeopardy(per the org).

I feel like I just wokeup and am happy to see and feel life. It has been wonderful these past few months and it can only get better.

• megaflower
    megaflower

I took a big risk rescently. I found my sister whom I had not spoken to in over 20 years (the person who studied with us said to cut all contact with wordly family). Iam happy to say she welcomed me with open arms. We had many tears but there was such joy. She had been my best friend my whole life till the JW's came along.

• flipper
    flipper

R. CRUSOE- Yes indeed! The risks are choices weighed by the outcome ! It is true - I'd rather my risks went mostly in my favor as well , but some risks might not work out in life , and we have to accept that at times as well.

MADDIE- You get the point exactly that I was trying to make ! Cool ! Some people , like you said - hide and don't want to grow and venture out in a positive way ! But you are right - perhaps you , me , and other ex-witness parents with adult children still in the witnesses , can make inroads towards helping our children see the real " truth " , by our taking the risk to stand up for what we believe in , and perhaps help them exit the witness cult in time too ! Great comments, thanks ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• hopie
    hopie

Taking risks in life is what advancement in knowledge is all about. If you hadn't put your toe in the water for the first time, you would never have learned to swim.

As others posts here have pointed out, taking risks is the same as moving in a positive direction, not a negative one. When I encountered the decision to rejoin the org to rescue my daughter, even though it took 2 years, at the time I didn't know whether I was going to fail or be successful, fortunately I succeeded, along with exposing her elder husband as a child molester.

I am thankful that my nature has always been in seeing my cup half full, not half empty.

Hopie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have never been frightened of taking risks - but that is me

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Hello Mr. Flipper. Firstly. I would rather live alone with my freedom intact, that be surrounded by a bunch of hypocrites. Fake friendship does nothing for me.

Risk taking? Seldom do I take financial risks. I am very safe with investing. It makes a good night sleep that much more easier. Other risks, well I can think of nothing worth risking for, except maybe trying something different eating at a restaurant. Perhaps taking a wild ride at Knotts Berry Farm.

Wow, ,man do I sound like a wuss!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, I keep taking risks. I think I like to scare myself now and then. It's a little stressful, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit