Which bible translation do you prefer?

by digderidoo 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I have decided to buy myself a bible.

I have a New World Translation but the large print version, so i tend not to use it. After reading crisis of conscience i have decided to discard this translation anyway, but at a loss as to what translation to use. I also have a few old king james bibles but the language is unreadable to me. Somewhere hidden in my house i have a catholic version, but do not want to use this one either.

I would be interested to know what people here use and whether they are viewed as accurate. I went into a christian book shop in Birmingham, UK, last week and came across many versions.

Paul

• Honesty
  • real one
    real one

i read the contemporary english version. If you go to christian.com they have different versions you can try to see which one you like.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I like the Jerusalem a lot. But then I have most all the translations.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I like the American Standard Version and The Message Bible.

Sylvia

• 5go
    5go

Skeptic's bible at least they are less boring to read and have some wit. Also you might as well learn to question every thing or else you will wind up on the same path.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

• MMae
    MMae

For study: The New Jerusalem Bible. If find it to an excellent reference Bible, and it's translators seem to have made notable effort in accuracy.

For spiritual upbuilding and ease of reading with understanding: The Message Bible.

• inkling
    inkling

www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

Ha. Seriously though, I have allways like the Jerusalem Bible.

(edited: Damn, is there an echo in here?)

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Pretty much any Bible will do. But if I need to compare them I use www.biblegateway.com

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

New English

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit