Which bible translation do you prefer?

by digderidoo 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• auxillaryapostate
    auxillaryapostate

I like the NJB because it has the correct date for the desolation for Jerusalam.(587)

• free2beme
    free2beme

The one that has this disclaimer at the beginning.

Please do not use the following pages as a reason to hate, kill or manipulate the masses. These events, legends and myths were meant to control and civilized a by-gone culture of wandering beast known as man and not meant for you to use today to cause problems. Enjoy and use at your own risk.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I still believe that the King James version, even with transcription errors, is the gold standard for accuracy. I think someone updated some of the archaic words and improved the accuracy of it, so you might want to check the newer editions. Best part: You can read it free online by Googling "King James Bible".

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

NIV here.

To get a deeper look at things I like to go to biblegateway.com and see the different translations together.

I also like to look at a Greek interlinear.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

For casual reading, I use the Jerusalem as my "default" Bible. But before I quote it, I usually want to check the text first. The Jerusalem is far more readible than the NWT, and it has an awesome organizational structure (with the verse numbers outside the text, and with the text subdivided by the structural features of the text -- which makes the plan and organization of the books very clear), it uses "Yahweh" in the OT, and it includes the apocrypha -- very important in many respects.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I like the Living Bible & K/james.

Hope4Others

• cognac
    cognac

I like this one the most cause you can look up what the words mean as you go along...

http://www.htmlbible.com/sacrednamebiblecom/kjvstrongs/

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The other thing about the Jerusalem Bible is that it is published by Doubleday, the same publisher as Charlesworth's "Old Testament Pseudepigrapha" (2 volumes) and Layton's "The Gnostic Scriptures". So if it get all three in hardcover, they stack very well together as one set...and they all have the same wonderful format of presentation.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Thanks for the link to the kj thats real handy to have.

Hope4Others

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

the King James is still lovely even though it is written in Elizabethan English

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit