The UN is on the verge of banning religion - JWs favorite rumor

by VM44 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Very old rumor. The way I heard it there was a JW couple who where on a cruise. During dinner time the couple begins to "witness" to some people they are sitting close to. They are telling these people about how eventually the U.N. is going to wipe out religion.

That's when the husband they are talking to speaks up and says "I work for the UN and can verify that we are planning to do that!"

Heard this story around 3-4 years ago.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I think everyone is missing the point. The unlikeliness that this will ever happen, and that the UN does not have the power to ban religion is what makes this prophecy so powerful. It is God that maneuvers things for the ban to happen. This will be the ultimate sign that Armageddon is about to occur.

Damn straight.

I never quite understood how this would actually work out. There are people in this world that will blow themselves up with a bomb before they give up their religion, but yet the UN can do it in one fell swoop? Totally lame.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Then you can ask, what advantage does the UN have by banning religion? Even if they wanted full control of the world as a one world government, they would be better off leaving religion alone.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

In practical terms, what does it mean for the UN to ban religion?

It is a meaningless statement.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

And Armageddon is just around the corner

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Examples given that it is possible were Communist countries such as China, which banned religion. However, these countries were not very effective at it, as a large portion of people stay religious and just take their worship underground.

• Spook
    Spook

Even as an early teen this seemed hard to swallow. As I started learning more about history the full ridiculous nature of it became obvious, along with the implications on the character of their Jehovah.

If the UN could (which it can't) ban religion (which it wouldn't) this would be a totally irrational position. The JW defense to this is that god would "put it into their hearts." Not to get into the bizarre JW teaching up to the 70's that the literal organ of the heart has the function of thought and is the motivational system of the human (as opposed to, say, the dopomine system and the meso-lymbic functions of the brain...) this would mean that god is violating man's free will in order to fulfill his prophecies about man. I.E. in the bizarre testing theology of JW's, satan's assertions are correct and god's test fails in that god's will cannot be brought without god's collusion.

Now, if JW's had interpreted Revelation to deal specifically about the middle east they would have been more persuasive than being (1) Caught up in world war era prophetic speculation about the UN and (2) being influenced in whole by the then current zeitgeist fear of Russia. However, this they did not do. Furthermore, those lucky christians who did interpret Revelation to be zionist (while still logically wrong and simply lucky and self fulfilling) and centered on the middle east, have MORE basis than them for claiming to be directed by the god of the bible based on current events. Thankfully, they're wrong too.

• apollos
    apollos

>>So the idea that the UN would or could ban or even consider banning religion is unrealistic. Never going to happen.

But possible, right?

• logic
    logic

If the un or any other organization decides they will do away with religion had better pack a lunch!

• r51785
    r51785

It is far more likely that the religions of the world will gather together and "ban" the UN.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit