The UN is on the verge of banning religion - JWs favorite rumor

by VM44 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
    VM44

The UN is on the verge of banning religion.

Why is this rumor constantly being brought up by the JWs?

The UN does not have the power to ban religion, such an act would go against its very charter and its declaration of human rights.

Many of the member nations are Islamic and would never vote to ban religion as it would undermine their own very existence.

So the idea that the UN would or could ban or even consider banning religion is unrealistic. Never going to happen.

But the JWs have been whispering that "The UN is going to ban religion" for decades....Why?

Is it an integral part of their collective Persecution Complex?

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I even remember an 'urban JW legend' that said a couple of Witnesses had spoken to a UN employee (one of the 'higher up's') and when they told him the UN was going to ban religion, he allegedly (well, he probably doesn't even exist, but...) said "How do you know that!? We do in fact have those plans on the table!" or some such remark. Remarkable that he would share this most likely top secret information with a couple of strangers, but...

• 5go
    5go

An oldy but an effective goody.

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Awake, I do remember my Mom was telling me the same thing in mid 90's.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I suspect it would be a lot easier to ban the UN than to ban religion.

W

• Gill
    Gill

Why would the UN ban religion?

Religion is what keeps people stupid and in servitude, exactly where the rich and powerful want them! They need brainless drones to do the dirty work and be kept in some sort of fear by the 'contolling clergy'. The UN LOVES religion. Where else would they get their window cleaners and bin men from except the poor and desperate who only have the hopes of an afterlife to cling to.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Awakened: That rumour of a secret plan in place was going around here also, repeated by a couple of sisters who were also notorious for falling for every MLM scheme and pushing it on to others. When one repeated it to me in front of my JW husband, I asked her how she knew that. She said it was even in the WT. My husband nods along. I told her I read every WT cover to cover and I don't remember ever seeing that.

After she left, I got out the WT CD and searched UN. What came up was thousands of references to the UN. I scanned most that I could. They were overwehlming positive mentions. Hmm. Interesting. There was only one or two mentions in very old issues of the WT's doctrine of the UN being the wild beast. It almost seemed like they were fulfilling some sort of public campaign to promote the UN's ideals. You don't notice it so much when you read the articles individually and see the UN mentioned. When you put all the quotes side by side like that, it is a really obvious pattern.

Anyway, I shared the results of my research with my husband. This is before I started my official fade. I was trying to make a point about how so many JW's are gullible and just believe anything they are told, whether it is miracle tonics (this sister was promoting at the time) or miraculous divine interventions in government affairs.

Cog

• undercover
    undercover

These type of JW rumors also show how naive JWs are when it comes to governments and politics.

They hear a pioneer or elder repeat that rumor about how the UN is planning on banning religion and they marvel at how the WTS already knew that. They never to stop to think for one minute, "just how does the UN have the power to ban something like that?"

The average JW (especially those who grew up in the religion) has no clue whatsoever in how their own countries politics/government work, let alone the world in general. Yet they feel that they have this special inside track into how everything is revealed to them through the Society.

Naive and ignorant is what they are.

• jacethespace
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

I think everyone is missing the point. The unlikeliness that this will ever happen, and that the UN does not have the power to ban religion is what makes this prophecy so powerful. It is God that maneuvers things for the ban to happen. This will be the ultimate sign that Armageddon is about to occur.

Remember that this is based on the prophecy of the scarlet coloured wild beast turning on the harlot, so the Watchtower interpretation of Revelation makes this a necessary prophetic conclusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit