HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!

by sacolton 18 Replies latest jw friends

• bite me
    bite me

I think my question was overlooked a few days ago when I asked

Are JW's allowed to celebrate Valentines day?

If they are not and caught doing it, are there penalties?

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Bite me, to be honest, do JWs really know why they are forbidden to do anything? A lot who were raised as a JW, like myself, just went along w/ the flow. I just googled the origin of Valentine's Day. This is what I found.

Anything pagan in origin, well except a weddng ceremony and the rings, are forbidden by JWs. As far as 'being caught" and any punishment, I have never heard of it, but then again, I have never heard of anyone "celebrating" it before. The same goes w/ Mother's and Father's Day. However, I am sure that most JWs look at it as a way to, again, be cheap, unappreciative bastards.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Good question! Sorry honey, but the GB stricty forbids me from making you happy. I am not allowed to bring you joy. If I bring you a WT mag, whould that be enough joy for you?

Gimme a freaking break!!!

Wifey and I are going for a walk in a park with lakes, ducks, squirrels, old growth trees. Lunch at a Mexican place.

We deserve it!

Happy V V V Day to all who wish peace in their spouses heart!!

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Happy Valentines Day to you all. Isn't it nice to be able to express our feelings to others without worrying about its origins and if its worshipping a person!!

• bite me
    bite me

Sweetface2233 brought up something that made me think of something else.

Fathers and Mothers days cannot be celebrated either? Geez.. The bible even says to Honor thy mother and father. Even though we are to do that all the time, Just having a day set a side just for your mom's and pops is really nice. I know it always makes my parents feel twice as special.

I'm so glad I didn't have to grow up in the false teachings. I'm just worried for those (friends and other family members) who are lost and stuck in it from the time they were born.

PS.. JW"s have no trouble taking advantage of mothers and fathers day sales in the stores!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

bite me, no Mother's and Father's Day is not celebrated, either. The origin of Mother's Day dates back to 250 BC when Cybele, a Roman godess, was worshipped. From what I have found, Father's Day originated in 1908 in a Mother's Day sermon in a WV church. However, all I did was a quick google of these things, as JWs really don't even know why these holidays aren't celebrated. This past May, my grandfather called my mother to inform her that he and her 4 siblings were all chipping in for a flower arrangement to placed on my grandmother's grave. She refused to pay $10.00 for the recognition of her dead mother.

New Year's celebrations are frowned upon, as well as even saying "Happy New Year!" Why? My guess is because JWs know how to suck the fun out of anything.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Happy Valentine's everyone. It is so nice to have regular days where we stop and think about and express love to those that we care about. Its so good not being a dub!

Isaac Carmignani

http://isaaccarmignani.blogspot.com/

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Valentine's Day is what makes ex-JW's married to current-JW's SPECIAL. You see, I must be the only guy in the world privileged to be IN TROUBLE with his wife for REMEMBERING that today was Valentines Day, and buying her candy and gifts.

I'm serious! She's pissed at me over it. Yet she was okay with me giving her birthday gifts, and she gave me a card on my birthday. What the hell!?!? It's not like it's Halloween for pity's sake!!

I'm not mad... I feel SORRY for her. She's sitting home CRYING... called me to say that my gift was "a slap in the face". ?!?!

Anyway, to all you pagans celebrating a holiday with "Christian" origins... I WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!

• free2think
    free2think

Happy Valentines day

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit